Table of Contents
- Why Use a Keyboard Without Number Pad?
- Advantages of a Keyboard Without Number Pad
- Types of Keyboards
- The Picks: 10 Best Keyboard without Number Pad
- What to Look for When Choosing a Keyboard Without Number Pad?
- Final Words
A keyboard is an integral component of your computer and something to consider when you shop for your system. You may be surprised to find the many types and forms of mechanical keyboards available in the market. But which option works best for you? The answer depends on what you’re going to use the keyboard for, how often you will use it, what feature you want, and much more.
Buying any product can be confusing and overwhelming, especially if you are clueless about what to look for. This guide will provide you with all the details regarding keyboards without number pads. Hopefully, you will find the information helpful in making an informed decision.
Why Use a Keyboard Without Number Pad?
If you are always on the move, a gamer, or a college student in a cramped dorm room, you might want to invest in the keyboards without number pads. They offer more form, function, and accessibility to users than a full keyboard and take relatively less space. Besides, you will find that no number pad keyboards are more convenient for everyday use. You will find its answer in the next section.
Advantages of a Keyboard Without Number Pad
Everyone has preferences for keyboards; here are the top advantages for getting a no number pad keyboard.
Nowadays, space is a hot commodity. People want functionality while saving as much area as they can. With no num pads, your keyboard becomes more compact, allowing for more desk space. You may find this helpful if you work in a cramped space or if you’re a gamer who wants to move their mouse more freely.
Easy to Carry
Due to their condensed design, these keyboards are portable. If you have to travel on the job or want to take your keyboard with you everywhere, these boards are what you need.
Due to the design, these keyboards offer comfort for your wrists and hands. Which, in turn, helps with your posture. Keyboards without number pads are generally ergonomically suitable – a significant boost!
How often do you use the num pad?
Mostly, we completely ignore the number pad on the right side of the keyboard. Instead, we employ the number pad on the top side. If you don’t have any use for it, you should consider removing it from your workstation.
There is much variety in this product. You will find keyboards of varying sizes, functionality, and looks. If you’re one for aesthetics, you might be delighted to discover the trendy designs these keyboards come in.
No number pad keyboards are a tad more economical than the full ones. These keyboards have fewer keys and are lighter in weight, so they are relatively cheaper to produce.
Types of Keyboards
Now that you know that you need a keyboard without a number pad – let’s look at some of its types and their correct terminologies.
These keyboards are a popular choice and have a similar layout as the full-size keyboard. It has 86 to 88 keys to utilize. This keyboard is standard among gamers.
It has the same number of keys as a TKL but is more compact. The layout of these keyboards is different from full-sized ones. It may take time to get used to its closely packed structure. They include the top F key row. Searching for replacement keycaps might be problematic because of the dense design
On top of the number pad, the 60% keyboards also lack the F key row usually found at the top. To access these functions, the user can press the function (fn) key. A new user may have difficulty adjusting to the layout of 60% keyboards. However, they offer more space and are highly portable.
This keyboard only has 39-41 keys, making it easy to take along with you. Without the number row, it only has the fundamental keys, so the user will have to program the other buttons to access all functions.
The Picks: 10 Best Keyboard without Number Pad
HyperX, a subdivision of Kingston Technology, dabbles in the manufacturing of many products. Over the decade, they have built a reputation in the tech world because of their quality, performance, and design. One product that showcases these qualities is their Alloy FPS Pro TKL keyboard. This compact mechanical board has gained popularity because of its user-friendliness and reliability. Aimed towards first-person shooter gamers; this product is an optimal choice for e-players- and other users.
- It has a compact, tenkeyless (TKL) form with 87 keys.
- Keys follow the US QWERTY layout.
- The board has a minimalist, uncomplicated design.
- Red backlight aesthetics.
- It is made of a steel top plate and ABS plastic.
- It is available in blue and red Cherry MX key switches.
- It has red LED backlights with five brightness levels and the option to turn them off.
- It has anti-ghosting and N-key rollover functionality.
- It has a polling rate of 1000Hz
- The keyboard is compatible with OS and Windows.
- It weighs 1.8 pounds, making it light but stable.
- It connects through a braided USB 2.0 detachable cable. The cable is 1.8 meters long.
Overall, HyperX FPS Pro is a dependable keyboard for gamers, writers, and internet surfers alike. With its sturdy quality, simple design, and robust performance, this keyboard may make an excellent addition to your system. And the price is extremely fair for the features it offers! An uncomplicated keyboard that gets the job done, what more do you need?
Filco is a Japanese company renowned for its mechanical keyboards around the world. Praised for their durability and user experience, Filco keyboards are on most people’s wish lists. They introduced their Majestouch line to cater to the growing demand for gaming keyboards. But these boards will prove useful to most users.
- With 87 keys, it is a TKL type keyboard.
- It comes with the options of blue, red, or brown Cherry MX key switches. (We recommend the one with blue key switches.)
- It has the N-key rollover (NKLO) function.
- It weighs 2.2 pounds, which indicates a strong build.
- The material of the keys is ABS plastic.
- It has printed keycaps.
- A USB cord connects the keyboard with the system.
If you want something built to last, the Filco Majestouch-2 Keyboard maybe your best option. Although it doesn’t have some of the features that modern keyboards boast, the simplistic design is noteworthy. If you’re not a fan of those flashy keyboards with more options than you need, this keyboard fits your criteria. Although it is expensive, you may find it worth every penny.
A big name in computer hardware and gaming peripherals, Razer is famous around the world. This American-Singaporean company has provided quality equipment to users- especially gamers, receiving many accolades. BlackWidow keyboard is the most prominent piece in their collection, having won much recognition.
- It has a compact TKL form.
- The keyboard comes in matte black color.
- It comes equipped with Razer switches in either green, orange, or yellow.
- Equipped with Razer’s Instant Trigger Technology (ITT).
- It comes with Razer Hypershift for programming keys.
- It connects via a detachable USB cable.
- It has an expected lifespan of 80 million keystrokes.
- It offers vast RGB customization.
- It has an option for a magnetic wrist rest.
- It includes the Razer Synapse software.
- With a weight of 3.63 pounds, it has a solid build.
- It requires 1LR44 batteries.
- It boasts ten key rollover and anti-ghosting mechanism.
If you’re mainly using a keyboard for gaming, the BlackWidow might appeal to your needs. With its cool customization possibilities, it provides a unique aesthetic experience. It is more expensive than some of its competition, but its agility, responsiveness, and quality make up for it.
Logitech is another prominent name in the computer accessory business. They are known for their wireless technology and innovative products like mice, headsets, and keyboards. Their products aim to enhance the users’ connectivity with the digital world, and it shows! Their K480 combines accessibility and function to give users the keyboard they didn’t know they needed.
- Its design ensures comfortable key spacing.
- It connects to more than one device, making it convenient.
- It provides a smooth transition between devices.
- The keys have a decent response.
- It has long battery life.
- Weighing 1.81 pounds, it is not only sturdy but also agile.
K480, with its three-way connectivity, takes convenience to another level. It maintains the workflow with its hassle-free switch. An innovative structure that provides functionality and saves time, this keyboard does it all. The only thing that needs improvement is the cradle, but it is not a deal-breaker.
HUO JI has only recently started its line of products. Previously, they built hardware for other companies but have now become independent. The company has taken this step to provide its quality merchandise to the user directly. One such product is the E-Element Z-88 mechanical keyboard. This keyboard brings aesthetics as well as functions to your table. Although it was introduced as a gaming keyboard, anyone may find it useful.
- It is a compact 60% type keyboard with 81 buttons.
- It comes equipped with Outemu Tactile blue switches.
- It has anti-ghosting and n-key rollover technology.
- It can withstand 50 million keystrokes.
- It comes furnished with 10-mode RGB lighting and color flashing options.
- Its combination of metal and ABS plastic makes it a durable set.
- It is compatible with Windows and Mac OS X.
- It contains a gold-plated USB connector.
- It includes multimedia keys too.
In our humble opinion, at this price, the cons seem pardonable. The HUO JI E-Element Z-88 Keyboard gets the job done while providing extra features. Plus, if you are prone to spilling drinks when working, this keyboard will pull through.
Founded in 2015, Velocifire has established itself as a manufacturer of mechanical keyboards. While most mechanical keyboards are built for gamers (you may have noticed this in our list), this company has made a mechanical keyboard for the office-going consumer. Velocifire TKL20 is perfect for anyone who spends long hours typing away on their desk.
- It is a compact TKL type keyboard.
- It is equipped with Tactile brown switches.
- It boasts a 100% anti-ghosting key rollover mechanism.
- Made from ABS material, it is sturdy.
- Its keycaps won’t fade quickly as they are laser engraved.
- It comes with a white LED backlight.
- It includes a fitted Lithium Battery.
- It connects via a 59-inch USB cable but can also have a wireless connection.
- It comes with a key puller.
- It has a sloping, arced design and well-footed elevation.
- It is compatible with Windows and Linux.
Velocifire TKL02 is a fine product that combines the form and function that an office worker needs. It doesn’t have any flashy features, but it’s worth having a keyboard for such a low price.
Created in 2012, Redragon is the top competitor in the global market. It produces high-quality keyboards, mice, and mousepads. They invest in research to make their products stand out with their consumers and give them a great user experience.
- It is a TKL type compact keyboard with 87 buttons.
- It is equipped with Outemu red switches.
- It has backlighting available in 19 different modes, 2 user-defined modes, and 6 brightness levels.
- It has a durable metal plate and ABS base with plate-mounted keys.
- It has an anti-ghosting and ‘n’ key rollover mechanism.
- It connects via a 6-foot USB cord.
- It is compatible with Windows and most iOS software.
The fact that we couldn’t find more than one fault speaks for itself. The Redragon K552 is good quality, affordable keyboard with customizable features. This keyboard provides a satisfying and efficient user experience. If it were us, we would not hesitate to snatch this board for ourselves.
PicTek is a US-based company that has been supplying gaming mice and mechanical keyboards for several years. Their products are of high quality and fit the average consumer’s budget. Their TKL keyboard provides a good user experience, features, and price.
- It is a TKL type keyboard with 87 keys.
- It is equipped with blue key switches.
- It has a 100% anti-ghosting and ‘n’ key rollover mechanism.
- It includes 12 multimedia keys.
- It has backlights with 27 modes.
- It has customizable lighting.
- It is compatible with Windows and Mac iOS.
- It is resistant to spillage.
- It connects via USB cable.
The PicTek TKL Keyboard is a great find. It provides quality functioning, frills and is easy on the wallet. We can’t ask for more. As for the keycaps, you can easily replace them with ones that have better quality.
Corsair is a leading global brand in the world of technology. Their products are high quality, pleasing to the eye, and well acclaimed. Not only that, they cater to the needs of all kinds of consumers- gamers and employees alike. K63 is one such product that has us drooling.
- It is a TKL form keyboard.
- It includes quality Cherry MX red switches.
- It comes with red backlighting to enhance its look.
- It has designated multimedia keys.
- It comes with a full anti-ghosting with an ‘n’ key rollover mechanism.
- Its keys can be easily programmed
Corsair has done it again! This time with a compact keyboard, they live up to their name. However, it is a bit pricey but the simple functionality and aesthetic win over many users. You can’t go wrong with a Corsair keyboard, especially not with the Corsair K63.
Eagle Z-77 is manufactured by an electronics company called GranVela. They are committed to providing quality accessories and peripherals to their consumers. Their compact keyboard has a comfortable style and smooth key function, making it a high-grade buy for a low price.
- It is a TKL type keyboard with 87 keys.
- It is equipped with blue Outemu key switches.
- It has backlighting with 9 modes to choose from.
- It comes with an anti-ghosting and ‘n’ key rollover mechanism.
- It is expected to withstand 50 million keystrokes.
- It connects with a USB cord.
- The keyboard is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linus software.
- It is made from high-grade ABS material and is robust.
We believe that the Granvela Eagle Z-77 Keyboard is as good as it gets at such a low price. The board provides comfort to users while keeping in mind their needs. Although the backlighting is not customizable, the existing modes add to its looks quite a lot.
What to Look for When Choosing a Keyboard Without Number Pad?
Everyone has different needs when buying any product, and so must you. When purchasing your compact keyboard, you may want one that checks your boxes – not ours. We compiled a long, versatile list for this reason. Now that you’ve decided to buy a keyboard without a number pad, here is what you need to consider:
The whole point of getting a compact keyboard is to free up space on your desk. You need to assess how much space you need and what functions you are willing to sacrifice. A list of available sizes is mentioned above, and we’ve included keyboards of various dimensions. Although, we advise either a TKL or 60% keyboard.
After deciding on a size, it is essential to focus on the structural aspects of the design. Your keyboard should feel like an extension of your arms and thus should be comfort-personified. Three things should be considered: thickness, bottom, and slope of the keyboard. The keyboard should not be thicker than 35mm at the “A S D F” keys region. The ideal thickness is 30mm.
The slope of the keyboard helps relieve strain on the wrists. To avoid developing conditions like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, it is best to choose a keyboard with an incline between 0-12 degrees.
Weight might not be an essential factor for most people. However, those workers who use separate keyboards with their laptops and carry them around when traveling for work must consider the weight. Before buying a keyboard, check how much it weighs and try carrying something of similar weight for a day or two. If the load is manageable, you can proceed to buy the product.
By now, you know that keyboards don’t have to be straight or boring; they can be fun and trendy instead. If aesthetics are critical to your user experience, you must carefully consider what options you can opt for. If you look heavily at your keyboard, you won’t enjoy working on a bland keyboard. Luckily, we’ve mentioned a variety of keyboards with a multitude of effect options.
Key switches are an essential part of mechanical keyboards. Commonly, you will find Cherry MX switches in Blue, Red, and Brown.
- The blue switch makes a clicking noise and requires a small actuating force. Its tactile bump allows you to feel when the key actuates.
- The brown switches have the tactile bump but are much quieter.
- The red switches do not have a tactile bump, giving it a smooth feel.
- Green switches are similar to blue but require a larger actuating force.
If you focus on the button’s feel and the noise it makes, looking into switches would be a smart choice.
Wireless or Wired
Don’t mind cords showing on your desk? Go for the wired option. But if you are annoyed by wires, wireless options are available.
Last but not least, the price. You want the right quality keyboard, but you don’t want to break the bank. There is no limit to keyboards’ cost; we’ve provided expensive, moderate, and economic options in our list.
Are you still confused? All the options are making you feel overwhelmed? Don’t sweat; we have rounded up our top three to make a choice easier.
Redragon K552 for its price, exquisite features, and performance.
Hyper X Alloy for its simple interface and accurate operation.
Best Value for Money
PicTek TKL for its premium-level features at a low price.
Getting a quality keyboard is an investment in not only your performance but also in your health. With their ergonomic property and quality features, compact keyboards are the wave of the future. When looking to buy a keyboard without num pads, make sure to look for ones that provide you with all the characteristics you need.
Whether you pick a keyboard from our list or some other recommendation, look through reviews and customer feedback before buying. There are many brands out there to choose from, don’t become overwhelmed; ask an expert for advice if you can. Look for something that combines performance, worthy features, and an excellent feel. When you find something that fulfills your criteria, don’t waste time getting your desired compact keyboard.