Table of Contents
- What is the Amazon Assistant Virus?
- What Does It Do To Your Computer?
- Signs That Your Computer Is Infected by Amazon Assistant Virus
- How to Get Rid of Amazon Assistant Virus – 5 Steps
- Tips to Prevent Reoccurrence
- Final Thoughts
It is a fact that the internet is an excellent way to search for required products and other goods, as it not only provides the best of them, but also all the features, pros and cons, and other relevant specifications. However, on the other hand, your smartphone, laptop, pc, or any other gadget can become infected by different viruses. Some of them are extremely dangerous and can affect your data as well.
What is the Amazon Assistant Virus?
Technically, Amazon Assistant is not a virus, but is a legitimate browser extension, or we can say plugin or tool that is designed to make online shopping better by providing the best offers from the Amazon. Even though it improves the shopping experience, it might act as a browser hijacker, and can cause too many annoying activities.
Amazon Assistant virus is categorized as PUA (Potentially Unwanted Apps). Once installed, this plugin automatically modifies browser settings, and starts pushing intrusive pop-up ads. It is generally called a virus due to the suspicious data tracking activities performed.
In this article, we will show you how to get rid of the Amazon Assistant virus, and effectively protect your device.
What Does It Do To Your Computer?
The Amazon Assistant virus is not as harmful as it seems. However, some threats might affect your device performance. Using this tool might be potentially dangerous to data security and privacy. Once installed, the tool starts tracking your data, personally identifiable information, and browsing history: searched queries, clicked links, visited websites, etc. Though gathered data is used for advertising purposes and to improve shopping experience, there is also a chance of transferring it to other third parties.
Being a browser hijacker can make it lead you to being redirected to affiliate pages, which are not only annoying but unsafe as well, since you are at risk of going to an infected website and facing severe malware there.
Signs That Your Computer Is Infected by Amazon Assistant Virus
As a browser hijacker, it tends to change the search engine settings and default homepage without your permission. If your computer is infected by Amazon Assistant virus, it will turn your browsing experience into a nightmare. Following are the signs of a device infected by it:
- Opens new browser windows unexpectedly,
- Offers too many unrelated shopping deals,
- Displays tons of pop-ups and banners which promote suspicious software or fake updates,
- Installs other adware without your agreement,
- Turns random web pages into hyperlinks.
All these issues result in sudden browser freeze and decreased computer performance.
How to Get Rid of Amazon Assistant Virus – 5 Steps
In order to remove the virus, removal instructions should be followed as they are specifically created to help you delete the virus, either manually or automatically. Perform manual removal only if you have some experience in removing such kind of viruses, otherwise you should use advanced anti-malware software. The below-mentioned 5 steps will help you get rid of Amazon Assistant virus:
Step 1: Uninstall Amazon Assistant from Windows
If you notice any suspicious activity on your computer, uninstall most programs. It doesn’t matter if you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 9, these steps will get the job done. To get a program off your computer:
- Hold the Windows logo button and ‘R’ on your keyboard simultaneously. A pop-up window will appear.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the field and press ‘Enter’.
- All the programs installed on the computer will open in a window. Select the programs that you want to remove, and press ‘Uninstall’.
Step 2: Clean Your Browsers from Amazon Assistant
If you use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Microsoft Edge, clean it by following these steps:
- Start the browser, and open the menu window.
- From the menu, select the ‘Add-ons’.
- Select the unwanted extension, and click ‘Remove’.
- Once the extension is removed, restart the browser.
Step 3: Clean Registries Created by the Virus on your Computer
Before getting to know how to remove unwanted registries, you should know what the usually targeted registries are. They are as follows:
To access and delete them, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open ‘Run Window’. Type ‘Regedit’ in the field and click ‘OK’.
- Here you can freely navigate the Run and Run Once keys.
- Remove the value of the virus by right-clicking on it.
Step 4: Scan for Amazon Assistant Virus with any Anti-Malware Tool
After removal of unwanted registries, go for the scanning. To do that, all you have to do is use an anti-malware tool. Here, we suggest you use ‘Spy Hunter’. If you don’t have this tool installed on your computer, download it from the internet, and wait for it to update automatically.
- Once the update process is finished, click on the ‘Malware/PC Scan’ tab. A new window will appear.
- Click on ‘Start Scan’.
- If you find any other associated threat while scanning your PC for Amazon Assistant virus, you can also remove it by clicking on the ‘Next’ button.
Step 5: Restart Your Computer
Once you are finished with removing the virus, lastly you have to restart your computer and you are done.
Tips to Prevent Reoccurrence
Avoid getting Amazon Assistant virus again on your computer by paying attention to the links you open, as well as apps or files you download, and never turn to free download websites. Find more information about extensions before installation, and be sure to get it from a credible source. To keep your computer safe, perform regular malware checks. Additionally, scan your computer at least weekly, and if you find any threat, eliminate it as soon as possible.
Amazon Assistant virus is a nightmare, as it makes your browsing experience very annoying. Hence, to get rid of it, do follow the above mentioned steps. Now your computer will be free of the ‘Ads by Amazon shopping assistant’, and you can enjoy your browsing without getting annoyed.