Table of Contents
- What is an Android Phone?
- Why Use an Android Phone?
- How Long Does An Android Phone Last?
- Android vs. iOS
- 5 Best Android Phones
In this modern age of technology, smartphones are incredibly popular amongst people and for all the right reasons: they are portable, user-friendly, and they simplify our lives to a great extent. Most smartphones are equipped with all the basic essential features, along with many apps, games, and programs; however, there are only a few that take the market by a storm. Amongst these are two wildly popular operating systems that are also each other’s biggest competitors: iOS and Android.
Latest update on 2021-09-08 | Images | Affiliate links from Amazon Product Advertising API
What is an Android Phone?
An Android phone is a powerful, high-technology smartphone that runs on Google’s operating system and is used by numerous mobile phone manufacturers. An operating system is in charge of the entire phone and supports installed and running applications. Android phones typically include a basic touch-screen menu, web, email browsing, and several advanced features such as cameras and GPS. Android is a Linux-based open-source system and is comparatively more customizable than other systems.
Why Use an Android Phone?
One of the Leading OS
Android is one of the leading operating systems in the world right now. The fact that it is greatly demanded by many manufacturers gives you a chance to choose from an extensive collection of smartphones’ models with different price ranges, features, and applications.
Android phones can support modifications and customization, letting you download third-party apps, APK files, and launchers. They also feature a wide range of widgets and shortcuts. If you want a fully personalized phone, then Android is the operating system for you.
Lots of Apps
You can easily install a wide range of applications from the Google Play Store due to its incredibly user-friendly interface.
Most Android phones offer an expandable memory; you can easily insert a micro SD card to increase storage space.
Most Android phones have removable batteries, making it very easy to replace them. The batteries are easily available online.
Micro USB Compatible
Android phones typically have micro USB or USB-C charging ports, which are used for many electronic devices; this means that it’s very easy to find a charger for them. You can also use the same charger on many other devices, depending on the model and port type.
How Long Does An Android Phone Last?
Smartphones typically last for 2 to 3 years, after which they might start slowing down. Other factors such as battery life and operation problems can affect the durability of Android phones. Their batteries tend to wear down over time and become weak.
As the smartphone industry releases newer and better phones every few months, some people hurry to discard their old cellphones to make room for the latest upgraded models, while some try to make the most out of the devices they already have. Generally, it is advisable to replace your phone every two years as their overall performance tends to decline. Screen protectors and fast chargers won’t protect your phone for long; it is bound to be replaced someday.
You should definitely replace your phone with a new one if:
- The battery drains too quickly and needs to be charged multiple times
- It is outdated and refuses to install new updates
- The applications start to crash often
- You’re unable to install new applications
- It keeps lagging, making it difficult to use
- It is broken or damaged, such as cracks on screen
Android vs. iOS
If you are looking for a new smartphone, there is a high chance that you will want to choose between two of the most popular operating systems: Android or iOS. Numerous smartphone manufacturers use Android, whereas iOS is used solely by Apple Inc. Although these phones bear many similarities, certain distinct features set them apart; thus leading to the well-known iOS vs Android debate. We compared the phones based on their price, performance, battery life, updates, featured apps, advanced features, and several other factors to make it easier for you to choose.
Since many phone manufacturers use Android, there is a large variety of Android phones available, ranging from affordably priced devices to expensive ones. Android has been designed to run on both low-end and high-end phones. An Android phone can be very budget-friendly due to the diversity of free applications it offers. On the other hand, Apple Inc. is known mainly for launching high-end smartphones; their newer models cost a fortune.
The iPhone X and iPhone 11 Pro Max are currently two of the most expensive phones released by Apple; older models like the iPhone 8 cost less as they are outdated. On the other hand, you can find a lot of good Android phones for a fraction of an iPhone’s price.
Run Time and Charging
Although both Android and iOS phones display battery life, Android phones additionally estimate remaining battery life. Both operating systems feature power-saving modes to increase battery life by adjusting performance and screen brightness etc. Android phones include fast charging and wireless charging, extending the phone’s battery life; although iOS also offers these advanced features, they have to be bought separately and so can be pricey.
Generally, Android phones tend to have a better, longer battery life and don’t need to be recharged as often as iPhones do. Additionally, you require a cable with Apple’s Lightning port to charge an iPhone with, and this cable is only suitable for iPhones and iPads, whereas Android phones typically use a USB Type-C port. Since USB Type-C chargers are more easily available and are cheaper, this is a plus for Android phones.
Android phones are significantly more customizable than iPhones and allow you to adjust screen layout, add widgets, or shortcuts. Android offers a variety of widgets, making almost every app in your phone readily accessible from the home screen. They also support launchers, allowing you to customize the entire user interface, run third-party apps, and even add your own theme. Apple phones offer a few selected widgets and backgrounds, but refuse third-party apps and downloads from unauthorized sources.
Closed and Open-Source Systems
iOS is a closed-source system exclusive only to Apple, which means that it doesn’t allow modifications or customization. You might not even be able to watch movies or download music from alternate sources to iTunes. Android is an open-source system, meaning it is available readily in the market. Android supports alternative and third-party apps and allows a more advanced user experience as it allows you to modify the device according to your needs.
Apple, being a closed-source system, only allows you to download applications that are available on the App Store. iPhones don’t let you download APK files or apps from third-party sources; on the other hand, Android phones offer a lot of free apps on the Play Store and also allow you to download APK files and apps from third-party sources.
5 Best Android Phones
We picked the 5 best Android phones out of a variety of excellent models based on their features, design, performance, and customer reviews.
The Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus is currently one of the best smartphones money can buy. It is an impressive amalgamation of advanced features, a fantastic 120 Hz display, versatile cameras, and 5G connectivity – all in one smartphone.
- AMOLED display with a refresh rate of 120 Hz, making the phone ideal for gaming
- Latest processors that include Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865 to improve power efficiency
- Improved AI and processing with new Nural Processing Unit and Image Signal Processor
- 128 GB UFS 3.0 storage and a powerful 16 GB RAM for a fast performance
- 12 MP cameras with large 1.8um pixels for images in low light
- The phone allows you to capture 33 MP ultra-resolution images and record 8K videos
- The upgraded 40 MP front camera features face-detection autofocus and advanced features such as Single Take and Pro Video mode
- Single Take AI allows you to capture multiple images and videos with a single tap
- Includes micro SD card slot
- mmWave 5G connectivity provides the ultimate 5G user-experience
- 4500 mAh battery gives the phone an extended battery life with wireless and reverse-wireless charging
The Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus offers a beautiful 120 Hz display, improved cameras, and 5G in a smoothly designed phone. If you want a phone that offers everything you’d want and don’t mind the missing headphone jack, then this is the phone for you.
The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus comes with many improvements: a bigger display with a 120 Hz refresh rate, a sizeable battery, increased RAM, and a brand new processor. Its incredible visual display, excellent cameras, extended battery life, and 5g connectivity justify its price.
- This phone has a smooth, slim design that is comfortable to hold and comfortably slides in your pocket
- The 6.4” Quad HD+ dynamic AMOLED screen display offers a lifelike visual experience
- Upgraded cameras with a complete set of professional camera lenses, with micro-zoom for incredible detail and ultrawide for remarkable landscapes. It features accuracy, audio focus, and super-balance
- Additional camera features include effects, lens filters, and live video bokeh. The phone lets you capture various images and videos with just one tap
- Pro-video mode allows you to control your camera settings while recording, such as exposure and focus
- The S10 Plus makes Bluetooth file sharing even faster, connecting with up to 5 devices with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- The phone has advanced features such as great processing speed, fast-charging, wireless power share, and extensive storage, giving it an extended battery life
The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, with its incredible display, high-end cameras, and advanced features, takes smartphones to a whole new level. Its has many upgraded features and a 4,100 mAh battery in a fairly affordable price range. Plus, it comes in multiple sizes, colors, internal space, and price ranges.
OnePlus took its smartphone game to the next level with its OnePlus 8 Pro. It is fairly affordable and offers a sleek 120 Hz display, better performance, and fast wireless charging – this makes for a very impressive phone.
- This phone has an internal storage capacity of 256 GB with 12 GB RAM and no card slots
- Fluid AMOLED screen allows media to flow smoothly
- 6.78″ QHD+ stunning display with 120 Hz refresh rate, even at a 2K resolution
- Upgraded quad rear cameras including a 48 MP main camera that allows you to shoot at 48 MP or 12 MP, an 8 MP telephoto camera featuring a 119-degree view, and a 5 MP filter camera that allows you to apply artsy filters as you shoot. The camera offers lifelike bright colours and incredible detail. It also includes 3x optical zoom and Nightscape mode
- The new MEMC technology provides flawless motion
- It is 5G compatible
The OnePlus 8 Pro is an incredibly designed phone with features such as a large 120 Hz display that does not require choosing between the highest resolution and a speedy refresh rate, and an incredible long-lasting battery. At an affordable price compared to other similar high-end phones, the OnePlus 8 Pro successfully competes with its significantly pricey competitors.
Samsung upgraded the Galaxy Note 10 to 10 Plus with a stunning bigger display, advanced features, and 5G connectivity.
- An impressive 6.8” Bezel-less display with ultrasonic fingerprint identification
- 12 GB RAM to ensure improved and speedy processing
- The phone has an internal storage capacity of 256 GB
- The 4300 mAh battery allows you to use your phone throughout the day and has a fast-charging feature
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity
- The S Pen features a remote shutter, playlist button, handwriting-to-text motion and allows for hand gestures
- The phone includes a Dual Pixel 10 MP camera with 12 MP 2x zoom and 16 MP Ultra Wide, and a set of professional lenses which feature stabilization, autofocus, and accurate audio recording
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus offers an immersive display, strong performance, extended battery life, and a very user-friendly stylus that supports air gestures. Watching a movie on this phone is quite a cinematic experience. If you want a large screen size, we would totally recommend this phone.
The Google Pixel 3A is one of the best Android phones available with great value for money. This phone offers a surpringly good performance at a reasonable price.
- 5.6-inch full HD Plus Display
- Comes in 3 colors: purple, black, and white
- Improved 3000 mAh battery, increasing run time
- Moderately powerful Snapdragon 670 processor
- Internal storage capacity of 64 GB with 4 GB RAM
- Two cameras; 12.2 MP main camera and 8 MP front camera
The Google Pixel 3A is one of the best phones to buy as it provides the most basic features of smartphones with shockingly impressive cameras and a strong build. Google has only made a few compromises to keep the phone at an affordable price. If you are on a tight budget and need to get a new phone with good camera quality, then the Google Pixel 3A is the way to go.
For us, the best Android phone from this list is the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus. It comes with advanced features, a striking 120 Hz display, and spectacular cameras, all at a fairly affordable price – undoubtedly making it one of the most trending phones on the market right now. It is slim and lightweight, which make it easy to hold for long stretches without tiring your hand. It has a good battery life, diverse cameras, and an upgraded software.
All the Android phones that made it to this list are glorious and feature the latest tech in the world of smartphones. We filtered through several mobile phones and landed on the most positively rated, tested, and evaluated Android phones. Since the final decision is up to you, we would recommend considering your own needs and budget and then buying one of these phones. We are confident that you will purchase a phone that fits your preferences the best.