Table of Contents
- Why do You Need a Big External Hard Disk?
- Top 5 Biggest External Hard Disk
- What to Look For When Buying an External Hard Disk?
- Top Pick
Backing up personal data is an indispensable requirement for people. The demand for hard disks is increasing day by day due to the growing needs of businesses. External hard disks are portable devices that are typically used to store data such as documents, videos, games, and photos.
The first hard disk was introduced first by IBM in 1996; it was a rather sizeable device with a capacity of only 5 MBs. Technology has seen a major upgrade since then; there are a lot more hard drives with new interfaces, increased storage capabilities, better performance, and flexibility.
You should have the ideal external hard disk to keep your private data safe and secure. The type and size of external hard disks vary, depending on user requirements.
Why do You Need a Big External Hard Disk?
External hard disks are the best option for people who want to store files for easy access and traveling to share files; they also improve the PC’s performance and user experience. As your data storage increases, your computer’s internal hard drive fills up and can cause the computer to lag. A big external hard disk is able to provide the extra space needed to store data. The most important advantage of external hard disks with increased storage space is that they are portable and can be connected to multiple computers. They allow you to carry a large amount of storage wherever you want.
If you have run out of storage space on your PC or laptop, or perhaps you want to back up important personal data, you should consider investing in a big external hard drive.
We have listed below some of the reasons why you might need a big external hard disk:
A sizeable external hard disk allows people to back up any data on computers or laptops. It is important to make frequent backups of your files, as you could lose them at any time, and external hard disks are the best option when it comes to storing these local backups. Although you can back up most of your data via the cloud, that comes with several disadvantages such as monthly costs and data caps that make it a less suitable choice for backups. A high-quality hard disk will cost you way less.
When you back up your data onto an external hard drive, you always retain ownership of files such as documents, photos, and videos. On the other hand, when you upload your files to services like Google Drive, the company’s owners can use your data because you agree to these terms when you sign up for the service. A big external hard disk will allow you to store massive amounts of data while keeping it private and confidential.
Portability and Offline Access
A big external hard disk makes it extremely easy to save files such as photos, videos, and documents from your PC or laptop and also allows you to access them via different devices at any time. External hard disks are portable and provide easy access to the data saved on your computer even if you are offline. An external hard disk will let you access your files even if you are traveling or are in a remote location with no internet service; although USB flash drives allow you to do the same thing, external hard disks offer more storage space.
Security and Reliability
External hard disks are much safer compared to cloud-based storage services. There are many risks associated with accessing data via cloud storage on public computers. There might be several viruses, key loggers, spyware, and other kinds of malware running in the background or installed on public computers; this exposes your data to online hackers. You will be at a greater risk of cyber-attacks when you upload your data even if the cloud-based service offers strong security measures, as hackers use advanced technology to hack into the software. Your private data is much safer when you upload it to an external hard disk that only you have access to.
Storing your data online might be unreliable as cloud services could have issues with their websites; you will then be unable to access your files. You do not have to worry about this with external hard disks, since they allow you to access your data anywhere and anytime while offering ample storage space.
External hard disks cost way less than cloud-based services because you do not have to worry about monthly payments; cloud services often need monthly payments if you want more storage space. External hard disks are more pocket-friendly as you only have to pay for them once and they offer massive storage capacities. Since people do not use them as much anymore, they are now cheaper in the market; the payment might seem expensive to you at first, but at least you won’t have to fret over monthly bills.
Storing your data on a big external hard disk will keep your PC or laptop’s internal hard drive or SSD from cluttering or running out of space; this improves the system’s performance and speed, while reducing the chances of hard disk failure, windows corruption, and the potential loss of important files and data.
Top 5 Biggest External Hard Disk
As we have mentioned before, having a copy of your personal or business data backed up in an external hard disk is essential, but choosing the right hard disk for yourself based on storage space, performance, and flexibility can be an extremely difficult decision. We have outlined below the 5 best external hard drives that offer massive storage space to help you out.
Western Digital 4TB My Passport
Western Digital’s 4TB My Passport hard disk is versatile and durable, and offers a massive storage capacity at a relatively affordable price. It supports various operating systems such as Mac and Windows, and features high speed and performance that make it so easy to use.
- 4TB storage space
- USB-C and USB-A compatible
- Superspeed USB 3.0 Micro-B connector
- Compatible with Mac and Time Machine
- Password protection and AES hardware encryption
- Western Digital Discovery software for backups, password protection, and drive management
- Small and portable
- Easy to use and to set up
- Offers a large storage capacity
- Fast data transfer speeds and performance
- Stylish and trendy in appearance
- Universal connectivity
- Suitable only for beginner level users with basic requirements
- Support guides are vague and confusing
- Some users have reported system crashes when setting up
My Passport by Western Digital is a trusted and portable hard disk that provides you with a stylish and convenient design that easily fits in your hand. It offers massive storage space with features that allow you to easily manage and organize your data.
Synology DiskStation DS218+
The Synology Disk Station DS214+ is specially designed for emerging startups and established enterprises. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and various other operating systems. As it is energy sufficient and sound-proof, it is used widely for sharing files across computer systems. This hard disk’s best feature is its incredible flexibility and customization.
- 112 MB/s writing and 113 MB/s reading speeds
- Dual-Core Processor accompanied by an AES-NI encryption engine
- 2 GB DDR3L memory that you can increase to 6 GB
- Has an Advanced Bars File System (65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder)
- Live transcoding
- 4K HD video streaming
- Comes with 2 installed camera licenses
- Synology Package Center offers more than 90 apps and allows you to transform your hard disk into a cloud syncing host
- Versatile and flexible
- Provides smooth interference-free and high-quality video playback
- It offers remarkable performance and speedy data transfer rates
- Portable and makes no sound
- Expensive compared to other hard disks
- Some users have found it difficult to set it up
- The speed is suitable for only basic users and small businesses
The Synology DiskStation DS218+ is a massive hard disk that is ideal for syncing files across multiple computers and for distributing media. The additional processing power and DDR3L memory enhance its network writing performance; however, its RAM storage is not sufficient for the wide range of applications being offered.
ADATA SD700 External SSD
The ADATA SD700 External SSD is best suited for people who are looking for a device that provides ample storage at an affordable price. It performs remarkably well and remains one of the best hard disks available in the market right now. ADATA offers a terabyte in the palm of your hands with this incredible hard drive.
- Read/write speed of 440 MB/s
- 1TB storage
- Dust-proof and waterproof
- Compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Android
- Portable and features 3D NAND Flash
- Runs via USB 3.2 Gen 1 interface
- Power efficient and sound-free
- Good performance and speed
- TRIM supported
- It is relatively affordable
- Durable and portable
- Dust, water, and shock-resistant
- It is not compatible with USB Type-C
- The connector cover can be difficult to open
- Some users have reported minor connection issues
The ADATA SD700 External SSD offers excellent performance, speed, and design at an affordable price. It has a massive storage space and provides maximum protection and security. It has an incredibly user-friendly interface that easily makes it worth mentioning on this list.
Transcend StoreJet M3
The Transcend StoreJet M3 is one of the most sizeable and portable external hard disks that met the standards of the US Military drop test. It is ideal for people who travel regularly with their hard disks, and people who are prone to accidents that might harm their hard disks. This drive is known for being one of the best shock-resistant hard disks for people who want to access their data on the go.
- Can be bought with either 1TB or 2TB storage space
- Topnotch shock resistance (Military grade)
- Super Speed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
- Has a 3-stage shock protection system
- Durable rubber exterior
- Protected by 256-bit AES file & folder encryption
- Has an upgraded internal hard drive suspension system
- Quick reconnect button for convenience and easy access
- One-touch button to back up data with
- Transcend Elite data management software
- Available in two styles: Standard and Slim
- Available in three color options: blue, grey, and military green
- Mac, Windows, and Linux compatible
- Offers military-grade shock resistance, hence is very durable
- Portable and easy to carry
- User-friendly and convenient
- Huge storage space
- Some users have reported the hard disk malfunctioning after a few months
- Does not come with an instruction manual and might be difficult to set up
- Data transfer speed might be slow sometimes
The Transcend StoreJet M3 is a tough and resilient hard disk that offers a speedy USB 3.0 interface and massive storage space. If you want your hard drive to be more durable than most, you should definitely consider this.
Seagate STHN2000400 Backup Plus
The Seagate STHN2000400 Backup Plus has an incredibly fast data transfer rate and performance, along with a stunning minimalist design. Its convenient size allows for easy portability and access. The Seagate Dashboard is a convenient feature if you want to be able to easily back up content from your social media or other data such as photos, videos, and documents.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
- Available in four storage space variants: 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, 5TB
- Has stylish brushed metallic surface
- Four color options: black, gold, red, light blue
- USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 compatibility
- Data transfer rates up to 4.8 GB/s
- 2-year access to OneDrive allows you to use 200 GB of cloud storage
- Connects to any PC or laptop with the included 3.0 cable to back up files with a single click or schedule automatic backups
- You can manage, edit, and share photos with a complimentary one-month subscription to Mylio Create and a two-month membership for Adobe’s Creative Cloud Photography Plan
- Limited warranty of 2 years
- Seagate Toolkit backup software compatibility
- Easy to use
- Compatible with Time Machine
- Convenient and portable
- Ideally formatted for Windows and Mac
- Good performance and fast speed
- Some users complained about the hard disk slowing down
- Setting up the hard disk might be time-consuming
The Seagate STHN2000400 Backup Plus is designed for people who require a lot of storage space in a highly compact form. This hard disk is ideal for game developers, video editors, artists, and anyone with major storage needs. Seagate offers incredible features such as auto-sync and customizable backups in a single portable hard disk.
What to Look For When Buying an External Hard Disk?
Buying an external hard disk might seem like an easy task, but it’s not. There are several things you need to keep in mind before buying an external hard disk:
If you want a device to transfer documents and other files from one device to another, or if you want to expand your PC or laptop’s storage, a mid-range hard disk is ideal for you. If you want to store a lot of files, we would suggest getting a hard disk with at least 1TB of storage space.
HDD vs. SSD
Generally, SSDs are faster and more durable compared to HDDs, but fall in an expensive price range. HDDs are cheaper, slower, and more prone to damage. You should get whichever one falls within your budget and also fulfills your storage needs.
Generally, SSDs tend to process data faster than HDDs. The fastest hard disks feature USB 3.0 and offer up to 20 GB/s.
If you want a backup device for your personal laptop or PC, NAS devices are best suited for you. If you travel with your data and files, you might want to consider investing in a light and portable external hard disk.
Our favorite hard disk is Western Digital’s My Passport. It is a versatile device that transfers media files at a very high speed. It is not only a storage device, but it can also be used to power your handheld device in case its battery runs out. It offers fantastic features at a relatively affordable price.
We have outlined the advantages and importance of using big external hard disks for storing your personal data. To make your decision-making process easier, we have also highlighted the best and most highly recommended hard disks that are available in the market based on their performance, durability, design, features, and price.
Although we are confident that any of the above-mentioned hard disks will work great for you, we would recommend buying whichever device fits your needs and budget the best.
Leave a Reply