Table of Contents
- Breaking Down the Top 10 NERF Guns Under $20
- 1. Strongarm NERF N-Strike Elite Toy Blaster with Rotating Barrel
- 2. NERF N-Strike Elite Delta Trooper
- 3. NERF N-Strike Elite Disruptor
- 4. NERF Nailbiter Zombie Strike Toy Blaster
- 5. NERF Fortnite SP-L Elite Dart Blaster
- 6. Evader Modulus NERF Motorized Light-Up Toy Blaster
- 7. NERF N-Strike Elite Triad EX-3 Toy
- 8. NERF Zombie Strike FlipFury Blaster
- 9. NERF Zombie Strike Brainsaw Blaster
- 10. NERF N-Strike Elite AccuStrike Series FalconFire
- Our Favorite Three NERF Guns Under $20
- Final Verdict
It’s hard to imagine any childhood could be complete without having a small arsenal of NERF guns available to pull out and wage suction cup and foam pellet wars at a moment’s notice.
These fun, funky, oftentimes futuristic looking plastic toys provide hours and hours of entertainment – and are plenty fun for children as well as adults looking to get in the swing of things, too.
The NERF brand is one of the most beloved in the toy industry for a reason, and that’s because time after time they just flat out nail everything that makes these toys so exciting.
At the same time, of course, not all NERF guns are created equally.
Truth be told, there are quite a few NERF guns that probably should have been shelved right away – the kind of NERF guns that will only leave you at a significant disadvantage against “enemies” when waging a NERF war, but the kind of NERF guns that take a lot of fun out of everything these playtime essentials are supposed to bring to the table.
If you’re buying these toys for a kid that means the world to you (or buying them for yourself to have a little bit of NERF fun as well), you want to make sure that you knock it out of the park.
That’s why we’ve put together this quick guide.
Below we highlight our favorite 10 NERF guns for less than $20, the kind of NERF guns that aren’t just affordable but are also a lot of fun to use, too. Let’s dig right in!
Breaking Down the Top 10 NERF Guns Under $20
1. Strongarm NERF N-Strike Elite Toy Blaster with Rotating Barrel
Far and away one of the most popular of all the NERF gun toy blasters on the market today, this quick action NERF blaster gives you the ability to fire six foam darts in rapid succession – with the kind of range and accuracy that you just don’t find in a lot of NERF guns priced around $20.
The range on this NERF weapon sits at just about 90 feet, includes six individual NERF ELITE darts designed for maximum accuracy, and the entire weapon lets you fire these darts in almost instant succession – as long as you work the action with your free hand.
No assembly necessary whatsoever, this side arm style NERF gun is a fantastic blaster for a brand-new player getting into the swing of everything NERF has to offer as well as more experienced veterans that want a backup on hand if they run out of ammo with their primary set up.
- Almost automatic rapidfire capabilities
- Includes six ELITE darts
- Super accurate at long distance, especially for a side arm
- More than six darts right out of the box would have been nice
- Manually operated action as opposed to electronic set up
2. NERF N-Strike Elite Delta Trooper
One of the coolest things about this under $20 NERF blaster is that it is so flexible, so modular, and so easily able to be totally customized depending on the NERF battles you are having with your friends, family members, or coworkers.
Designed to work with every other modular NERF gun in this series, you can use this as a NERF pistol for up close confrontations but can also add on an extended stock and extended barrel (both of which are included) to dramatically increase both your range and overall accuracy.
Including a box style magazine that holds 12 individual darts and the slams style firing mechanism that is so popular on nonelectronic NERF guns, you’ll be able to pump round after round accurately at your opponents at ranges of up to 90 feet with laserlike precision and accuracy.
Best of all, you can purchase a couple of separate box magazines to keep loaded up and on hand for rapid reloads – helping you deploy this NERF gun in more sustained playtime combat without having to fumble with a clumsy reload.
- Super module components that work with other NERF guns
- 90 foot range is amazing
- 12 round detachable magazine is a treat to use
- A little big and a little bulky when fully assembled
- Slam fire action isn’t quite as fast as electronic or motorized setups
3. NERF N-Strike Elite Disruptor
From the ELITE lineup of NERF weapons, you’ll be blown away by the precision accuracy this pistol style NERF weapon brings to the table – as well as its rapidfire capabilities thanks to the new slam fire approach to delivering rounds downrange.
Featuring a new rotating drop that moves automatically with every single pole of the NERF weapon trigger, you’ll be able to send all of the Elite darts towards your target at ranges of up to 90 feet with incredible accuracy.
Lightweight, compact, and comfortable to be used by children and adults alike, this is easily one of the most popular NERF style guns your find on the market today (and for good reason).
- Gives you six rounds of ELITE darts before you have to reload
- Reloading is really easy with open barrel system
- Slam fire mechanism is close to automatic NERF fire
- Only includes six ELITE darts right out of the box
- Promises 90 feet of precision accuracy but in real life maybe a little shorter than that
4. NERF Nailbiter Zombie Strike Toy Blaster
The folks at NERF have taken things to the next level with this incredible new blaster, designed specifically for children eight years of age and older – and perfect for those that want to wage foam and plastic war against “zombies”.
Maybe the most impressive addition to the entire Zombie Strike product lineup from the folks at NERF, this NERF style weapon looks a lot like a nail gun that might be found on a construction site – but fires up to eight individual NERF darts in rapidfire succession, all without having to deal with any individual priming whatsoever.
Instead of having to individually prime each and every NERF shot the way you do with traditional NERF weapons (like the ones that use the slam strike system), you are instead going to be able to lock and load with this blaster and zip up to eight NERF missiles towards your target with every single press of the trigger.
On top of that, eight NERF darts can be loaded directly into the indexing clip that you can zip right inside of your NERF gun – with extra indexing clips available for sale (sold separately) to dramatically improve your reload time so that you can really rock and roll.
- Rapid-fire system is best in the business
- Super accuracy with this almost automatic NERF weapon
- Perfect for “zombies strikes”
- A little big and a little bulky compared to other blasters
- Accessory indexing clips can get expensive
5. NERF Fortnite SP-L Elite Dart Blaster
You have to be crazy to think that the world’s most popular videogame right now wouldn’t want to combine forces with the most popular manufacturer of guns, and that’s exactly what’s happened with this Fortnite and NERF crossover event.
This specific NERF blaster has been modeled to look exactly like the silenced pistol you’ll find in Fortnite, one of the most popular weapons in the most popular videogame right now. Everything about this weapon from NERF looks like the Epic and Legendary variants of the gun, giving kids the opportunity to play around with the same stylized NERF weapon in real life that they do when they are waging war in this online videogame.
It certainly doesn’t hurt that this NERF blaster also happens to be one of the coolest, slickest, and most accurate NERF guns made in quite a while. A little bit longer than the traditional NERF blaster you can find on the market today, this NERF blaster is a lot more accurate at ranges that go beyond 90 feet – firing up to three darts in a row with every single pole of the trigger.
Six individual darts are included right out of the box (six ELITE darts, at that), darts that have been specifically designed for accuracy, performance, and range. Best of all, you can pop the accessory silencer off of this blaster if you are going to be fighting in close quarters kind of action – making this a pretty modular option, too.
- Kids are going to love the Fortnite stylings of this NERF blaster
- Internal three dart clip lets you pump rounds downrange pretty quickly
- Comes with six ELITE darts right out of the box
- Blaster is a little bit on the larger side of things
- Really needs ELITE darts to maximize its capabilities
6. Evader Modulus NERF Motorized Light-Up Toy Blaster
For those that want to not only win NERF battles but absolutely dominate them with fully automatic NERF gear, this motorized and light up blaster is definitely the way to go.
Uniquely styled compared to other NERF options in that it is made out of 100% clear plastic (advertised from the folks at NERF as a stealth mode option), you’ll certainly give away your position when you go to like your opponents up with NERF projectiles – but that’s because the blaster itself lights up thanks to strategically integrated LED lights that go crazy when this gun goes fully automatic.
A dozen individual ELITE darts are included in the internal magazine, though you can add accessory magazines to this motorized NERF gun (sold separately) to take its capabilities to the next level. There’s a barrel extender that you can tack onto this gun (included in your purchase) that boosts your range considerably while improving your accuracy at the same time.
- Motorized fully automatic NERF capabilities put 12 rounds on target pretty quickly
- Cool stylings and light up module are a lot of fun to use
- 12 ELITE darts are included with your purchase
- Batteries right out of the box are “demo batteries” and won’t last long
- Some questions about the durability of this automatic NERF blaster
7. NERF N-Strike Elite Triad EX-3 Toy
If you are on the market for a simple, straightforward, and super affordable NERF blaster – something to have a little bit of fun with, or something you want to buy a whole bunch of for a full on family style NERF battle – this is the kind of blaster you want to get your hands on ASAP.
A three shot style blaster (without a rotating barrel) you’ll be able to see at a glance how many rounds you have left and how soon you need to reload when you are running this ELITE blaster in action.
An individual cocking handle make sure that each shot is ready to rock ‘n’ roll when you pull the trigger, letting you prime your NERF missiles for long-range engagements. One pump of the handle lets you shoot these NERF darts at distances of up to 90 feet.
Super slim, super compact, and easy to handle even for smaller children that want to get in on the swing of things, this is one of the best entry-level NERF blasters you’ll find on the market today.
- Unbelievably affordable
- Super performance for its compact form factor
- Easy to use and get the hang of
- Not all that feature-rich
- Not that “cool looking” as some other blasters
8. NERF Zombie Strike FlipFury Blaster
Really letting you take things in the “zombie war” to entirely new levels, this Flip Fury style blaster lets you pump up to 12 NERF darts towards your target without having to do any reloading whatsoever.
All you have to do is load up the individual six dart drums to maximum capacity, fire a full barrel’s worth downrange, and then “quick flip” the second barrel into the rock ‘n’ roll position and you are off to the races.
Experienced NERF veterans are going to find themselves able to reload the secondary barrel on the fly, too, making sure that they always have the ability to fire 12 rounds towards their target in a pinch.
Combine that with the slick stylings, cool colors, and slam strike action of this NERF weapon and you’re looking at one of the coolest guns in the entire NERF arsenal.
- Super inexpensive for a 12 dart NERF weapon
- Really cool action and trigger mechanism
- Slam strike NERF capabilities that send darts 90 feet in the air with accuracy
- A little big and little bulky
- Takes a little bit of getting used to on the reload side of things
9. NERF Zombie Strike Brainsaw Blaster
The last of the Zombie Strike NERF blasters that we want to highlight in this top 10 list, it’s hard not to fall head over heels in love with everything that this killer looking NERF blaster has to offer – even before you get a chance to try it out in action.
Looking a lot like a chainsaw attached to the end of a NERF blaster, you are going to be able to crank this NERF blaster up and spin the NERF foam “chainsaw blade” at the end of the blaster for close quarters action while still being able to use it as a pump action blaster when you are engaging at range.
Holding up to eight darts in the internal magazine (with room for extra darts on both sides of the NERF blaster for quick reloading, this has quickly become maybe the most popular of the Zombie Strike options (and for good reason).
You’ll be able to send NERF darts toward your targets at ranges farther than 90 feet (like most others are capped at), which puts you at a significant advantage. Combine that with the spinning “chainsaw blade” made out of NERF foam for up close and personal action and you are looking at something really special here.
- Funky and fun design that kids are going to love
- Really plays up the zombie war aspects of this blaster
- Two in one NERF blaster capabilities with extended range
- A little bit larger and heavier than most younger kids are going to feel comfortable with
- Only holds eight darts at a time
10. NERF N-Strike Elite AccuStrike Series FalconFire
If you want precision accuracy when you are firing at your NERF targets and opponents, this is the only blaster for you!
Sitting squarely between the oversized NERF rifles and more compact NERF blasters, this is a medium-sized NERF weapon with super long-range and almost unbelievable accuracy. Designed specifically to use NERF ELITE darts that fly farther, straighter, and hit with real precision, everything about this blaster guarantees that you deliver your NERF payload on target time after time.
A top loading, single dark blaster with a “bold action” style mechanism you won’t be able to fire rounds quite as quickly as some of the other options out there. But you will be able to engage at longer distances and with more accuracy, winning NERF battles before the opponent can even get close to you.
- Super accurate at longer ranges
- Designed to make the most of NERF ELITE darts
- Comes with half a dozen ELITE darts right out of the box
- Single shot blaster
- Extendable stock and sight accessories are sold separately
Our Favorite Three NERF Guns Under $20
When you get right down to it, any of the top 10 NERF weapons that we highlighted above are going to be a big hit with children and adults alike.
These are the very best of the best NERF weapons available for $20 or less, the kinds of NERF weapons that can tilt the odds in your favor, and some of the best NERF guns that have been made by the company in the last 10 years or so.
At the same time, some of the top 10 NERF weapons we highlighted above are better than others – particularly if you are looking to get the most “bang for your buck”.
Our three favorites in this top 10 list would have to be the
- NERF N Strike Elite Strongarm Toy Blaster
- NERF Nailbiter Zombie Strike Toy Blaster
- NERF N-Strike Elite Triad EX-3 Toy
… But again you really can’t go wrong with any of the top options we highlighted above!
At the end of the day, you’ll notice that almost all of the NERF weapons we’ve highlighted in our top 10 list (and all of the ones in our three favorite section) take full advantage of NERF ELITE darts – and that’s really what makes them special.
While there are plenty of knockoff NERF ammo options available on the market today (most of it available at ridiculously inexpensive prices), it’s not a bad idea to try and use NERF ELITE ammunition as much as possible.
It’ll help make sure that you get the most power and performance out of these NERF weapons, especially the motorized option that offers fully automatic capabilities. The last thing you want to worry about is a NERF projectile jamming inside of your NERF gun just because it wasn’t made specifically to take advantage of the ammo that you had put inside of it.
Other than that, it’s impossible to go wrong with a NERF blaster that we touched on in this quick guide.
Obviously, there are other NERF weapons available as well, but for the money – the $20 or under budget – you aren’t going to find anything that can compete with the top 10 options we shared earlier.
Best of all, if you only have $20 or so to spend on NERF weapons many of our favorite options were priced at less than $10. That means you’ll be able to pick up a couple of our 10 favorite choices without breaking your bank account or blowing NERF sized holes in your budget, too! If you do end up grabbing some of these NERF blasters do be sure to leave reviews about your experience to help other people figure out which blaster is best for them!