Table of Contents
- Why do Graphic Designers Need a Good Mouse?
- Graphic Designers’ Requirements for a Mouse
- 5 Best Mice for Graphic Designers
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Mouse for Graphic Designing
- Final Verdict
Graphic designing is a very tricky business. To excel in this field, graphic designers need to have the best and most up-to-date technology on hand in order to get the perfect result that they’re aiming for. A mouse is one of the most major components needed to make graphic designing easier. There many mice available in the market, but every type serves different users in different ways. Some mice are considered to be perfect for gamers, while others are better for graphic designers.
Why do Graphic Designers Need a Good Mouse?
A graphic designer needs to keep many tricky things keep in mind while working. There are many delicate things that can make or break a design; for example: prints, fonts, positioning, highlighting, etc. It is important for graphic designers to have the best mouse in order to provide their customers with the best designs and adequately meet their demands. There are tons of mice designed especially for people in this field.
Graphic Designers’ Requirements for a Mouse
A graphic designer has many requirements when it comes to a mouse. The first and major one is the size of the mouse. Mice come in various sizes and the user should choose whichever size meets their preferences. Other than that, the mice have nicely positioned buttons that a graphic designer needs to have. Graphic designers also look for a high DPI in a mouse; they need the mouse to be efficient and quick in its response as well, since their projects are time-dependent.
5 Best Mice for Graphic Designers
Below is a list of the 5 best mice for graphic designers:
There are lots of mice available in the market right now for graphic designers; however, not all of them have the suitable features combined with the efficiency that a graphic designer requires. You might find it quite difficult to get a mouse that helps you achieve the end goal efficiently and effectively in a short time.
The Logitech MX Master 2S is perfect for graphic designers. It is a wireless mouse that is designed in such a way that it can fit snugly in the palm of your hand.
- The mouse has a remarkable number of 4000 DPI sensors and it works smoothly on all types of surfaces due to its 2S feature.
- This mouse has an amazing battery life and can last for as long as 70 days if it’s fully charged once.
- It includes a USB port for charging purposes as well.
- There are lights on the corner of the mouse that indicate how much battery is left.
- This mouse has customizable buttons that make it an ergonomic device and ends up being very convenient for its users.
- It has a scroll wheel on top to help you scroll through pages with ease.
- The mouse can be used with up to 3 Windows or Mac computers.
- The sturdy material that the mouse is made of makes it quite durable. This material is hard enough to make it durable, yet has the perfect ergonomic design that prevents it from causing you any strain if you have to use this mouse for a long period of time.
- It can be connected with the help of Bluetooth.
Logitech is famous for manufacturing top-notch products with extremely ergonomic features. This mouse is yet another one of their top quality products and works exceptionally well. The only downside with this device is its hefty price, but the features provided make up for it. If you aren’t on a tight budget, then this Logitech Mouse is a great choice for you.
This mouse is unique compared to other mice available in the market. The Anker Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse is a vertical mouse as the name suggests, and you can’t operate it the same way that you would operate a normal wrist mouse. With this one, you will have to place your hand in a handshake position instead of cupping it. This device is an epitome of convenience and ease if you are one of those people who might be working with a mouse for longer durations of time and need something that won’t cause any pain or strain on your wrist.
If you haven’t used a mouse before with a similar style and design, it may take some time for you to get used to it. However, you can easily use it and increase your productivity once you have completely mastered it.
- Weighing 3.46 ounces, it is a very lightweight mouse with a sturdy build.
- It has a ratcheting scroll wheel, and browsing back and forward buttons. These buttons are placed on the sides instead of on the top.
- There are 5 buttons altogether.
- The DPI switches between 800, 1200, and 1600.
- This mouse can last for a long time i.e. up to 3 months with AA batteries.
- It has a low power mode that kicks in after 8 minutes of inactivity.
- It has a range of about 3ft, which is more than enough if you are working on a desk on in a cubicle.
The Anker Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse is an amazing mouse if you are someone who’s shopping on a budget. It might not have a lot fancy features, but the ergonomic design and the convenience that one gets from it make up for the lack of extra features. It gets the work done in an affordable price range and the battery life is exceptional as well.
Apple is known to manufacture beautiful and sleek products with a maximum level of functionality and productivity. The Magic Mouse 2 by them is no less. It doesn’t only look good, but also offers tons of features that can attract a graphic designer and prove to be of great help to them.
- It is a wireless mouse that you can connect to your system with the help of Bluetooth. You can even connect it to your computer via the USB cord. With this dual feature, you can use it with both old and new computer systems.
- The major feature in this mouse is the multi-touch feature. This feature enables the mouse to easily detect gestures and touches. This can be of great help if you want to speed up the process and want shortcuts to get the work done. It has a built in rechargeable battery.
- One downside is that the charging port is beneath the mouse, due to which you cannot charge it while it’s in use.
- It can be connected with both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
- The battery life is fine as well; it only needs to be charged about once a month.
- It has a nice range and the laser tracking option works great as well.
- This mouse has to be used by gestures as there are no buttons on it; the gestures are customizable.
- For scrolling, you will have to move your finger vertically or horizontally across the mouse. Instead of pressing buttons, you will have to tap on the right or life side, and so on.
If you are a Mac user, then the Apple Magic Mouse 2 is definitely the best option and you should definitely go for it. Anyone else clearly shouldn’t, since it will be useless for them. It has a sleek design and features that are very high tech.
We have added another mouse in this list that is also made by Logitech. Logitech is famous for its highly functional and productive mice, and other such products. Another mouse that we deem to be one of the best for graphic designers is the Logitech MX Master.
- It is designed with an extremely ergonomic idea in mind. It is wireless and is known to be very responsive in all aspects.
- There is a scroll wheel present on the top, which responds quickly works at an extremely fast speed. You can use the scroll wheel for efficient scrolling and navigation of web pages.
- It has Darkfield Laser technology, with the help of which you can use it on almost all types of surfaces.
- It can be connected to multiple devices, so you can work simultaneously on several projects.
- It has a DPI of up to 1600, and as less as 400. The DPI setting can be adjusted based on the user’s preferences, and this feature makes it very adaptable and user-oriented.
- The battery life is not very exceptional, as it will last merely a month or so after it has been fully charged. One good thing about the battery is that it only needs to be charged for a minute and it’ll be good to work for an hour or two.
- It also has five buttons.
The Logitech MX Master mouse is a very good option. It might be the cheapest in the market right now, but the tons of features that come with it let it compete with the high-end mice out there. Logitech has made it in such a manner that it is very user-friendly and you can work on various things at the same time with this mouse, thus it is very convenient to use. We would recommend you to keep this mouse on your list, as it will meet most of your needs in a cheaper price.
The last mouse in this list is the Razer DeathAdder Chroma. This mouse is a really good one because it can be used by both gamers and graphic designers. It offers a lot of features that work fine for both types of users and both can get the maximum use out of this mouse.
- The speed and accuracy provided by this mouse are extremely high. The DPI sensors go as high as 10,000 DPI, which is the most amongst all the mice in this list.
- It can work amazingly on a glass surface which is as thin as 1mm, and this is due to the z axis tracking system.
- This mouse includes all the critical control settings, which makes it perfect for graphic designers.
- Another very basic feature that some might ignore is the wired connection option that this mouse has. Graphic designers are often at work for hours at a time and hence don’t have the time to put in replaceable batteries or to recharge the mouse. The wired connection option gives the graphic designers a maximum amount of productivity.
- The top of the mouse has a plastic grip, while the sides have rubbers that result in increased comfort and better handling.
- This mouse also has RGB lighting.
The Razer DeathAdder Chroma is a pretty great mouse, which is affordable and can give you all the basic features that you would need. The 10000 DPI sensors it has make it perfect for both gamers and graphic designers. If you are looking for a mouse with a decent design that is within your budget limit, then this is the one you should go for.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Mouse for Graphic Designing
There are many things that one should keep in mind while shopping for a mouse. The many aspects that a graphic designer looks for in a mouse are given below:
Wire or No Wire?
The big question that arises is whether you want a mouse that has a wire or not. A wired mouse has the advantage of not needing batteries in order to be used; this means that one can use a wired mouse for much longer than a wireless one that needs to be recharged every so often. However, a wireless mouse can be more comfortable to use, since there will be no wires tangling up and making a mess.
The size is the next thing that you need to consider as a graphic designer. You need to decide whether you will be travelling with your mouse or not. If yes, then you should probably get a travel-size mouse, otherwise you can opt for a regular-size mouse.
A basic mouse only has 2 buttons and a scroll. If you want a fancier mouse, you should look for one that has more buttons on it. A more advanced mouse will have more buttons, as much as 5 or sometimes even more. These buttons are customizable, and you can customize them according to your needs. This is an important factor, as these buttons help achieve a certain level of efficiency as well.
For us, the best option out of all these mice is the Logitech MX Master. It might not be ambidextrous, but all the other features provided in a reasonable price point win the show.
There are several kinds of mice available, wired/wireless, laser/optical, etc. It is important to keep all your requirements in mind before choosing one. You don’t necessarily have to get one that has a lot of features. A simple mouse in an affordable range can also work well for you based on the complexity of your task. One should always keep their requirements in mind and they will be good to go.