Table of Contents
- What Does a Transcriptionist Do?
- What Kind of Keyboards do Transcriptionists Need?
- 5 Best Keyboard For Transcription
- Things to Look For When Buying a Keyboard For Transcription
Keyboards are key devices for transcriptionists. As a transcriptionist, you are required to implement accuracy, precision, careful attention to detail and, of course, the ability to meet deadlines to seamlessly carry out your work. You do not want a faulty low-standard keyboard holding you back and slowing you down by tiring your wrists.
Latest update on 2022-12-14 | Images | Affiliate links from Amazon Product Advertising API
Did you know that a high-quality keyboard can significantly enhance your computing experience and boost your productivity levels? It sounds great and simple, but choosing the right keyboard for your job is crucial and can be quite a hassle. We gathered a list of the 5 trending keyboards that make transcriptionists’ jobs facile and pain-free.
What Does a Transcriptionist Do?
Transcription is the conversion of audio and video recordings to text formats, such as Microsoft Word documents. A transcriptionist typically listens to audio or video recorded files and types them into text format; these include meetings and conversations. They are professional typists who offer their services to legal offices, medical departments, and several transcription industries. Transcriptionists have the opportunity to choose between working remotely from home and working at an office with regular working hours.
What Kind of Keyboards do Transcriptionists Need?
Transcription is all about typing and hence the most important tool is a keyboard. Transcriptionists regularly use keyboards and the type of keyboard they use affects their typing speed. A good-quality keyboard is suitable for you only if it improves your productivity levels and performance.
The apropriate keyboards for transcription should allow you to keep your hands in a comfortable position, while increasing efficiency and accuracy, and reducing the likelihood of stress injuries and conditions like carpal tunnel. It should be precise, responsive, and should increase your typing speed.
Transcriptionists typically use mechanical keyboards or ergonomic keyboards. Mechanical keyboards feature a switch for each key on the keyboard and are durable and of high-quality, making them ideal typing buddies for transcriptionists.
Similarly, ergonomic keyboards are specifically designed to allow the user to adjust the keyboard according to their preferences. They cater to a wide variety of body types, minimize muscle strain, reduce pain and fatigue, and help people that suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
These keyboards greatly boost productivity by improving your typing speed; this makes them perfect for people with jobs that require typing on a regular basis or for long periods of time, such as transcription. If you are a transcriptionist who’s always glued to a computer, you should look for an ergonomic, mechanical, or membrane keyboard, depending on your preference and budget range. To make things simpler for you, we tested the top keyboards available in the market in 2020 that are very helpful and are the best suited for transcriptionists.
5 Best Keyboard For Transcription
There are many keyboards on the market that claim to be the best for typists and transcriptionists. To ease your decision-making process, we picked 5 of the best and most highly recommended keyboards that are perfect for transcription jobs based on their design, performance, ergonomic features, customer reviews and experience, and their price range.
Fujitsu Hacking Professional Keyboard
A Fujitsu Hacking Professional Keyboard costs a fortune, considering its only a keyboard. Its design offers a quick response time and precision while typing. It features a minimalist design and an aligned layout, with the standard 102 keys compacted into only 60 different keys. Many like its minimalist design and advanced features that work together to give you the ultimate best quality typing experience.
- The Topre switches require the keys to be pressed gently which provide efficiency and precision, while alleviating pain, fatigue, and conditions like carpal tunnel
- The keyboard has outlined keys and frames that reduce weariness in the hand and fingers and allow for effortless movement across the keyboard
- The keyboard layout compresses the standard keyboard design to only sixty keys
- It has several key combinations that increase typing speed and efficiency
- The keyboard keys are formed with high-grade PBT and are printed with long-lasting dye
- The keyboard provides silent keystrokes that allow you to have a disturbance-free workspace
- It is durable
- You get a fast response and good performance
- The keyboard’s keys are silent
- Helps prevent any stress on your hands and wrists
- It is portable and easy to carry
- It is user-friendly and great for all typists
- The keyboard is expensive
- Its layout differs from the standard layout and thus requires practice
The pricey and minimalistic Fujitsu Hacking Professional Keyboard is incredibly popular amongst gamers, typists, and transcriptionists. It allows for hours of continuous use without tiring out your hands and its incredibly smart key placements easily make it one of the best keyboards for transcriptionists. If you are willing to pay a small fortune for fantastic speed and precision, then this keyboard is worth considering.
Das Keyboard 4
The Das Keyboard 4 offers more than just a tactile satisfaction below your fingertips; it is designed to give you a psycho-acoustic experience. Its incredible features provide an unbeatable speed and fast performance. If you are looking for a speedy, responsive keyboard that has a high-quality appearance, the Das Keyboard 4 is the way to go.
- The gentle Cherry MX switches provide fast and accurate tactile and audio feedback, ultimately increasing your typing speed and precision
- The MX Cherry switches are available in two color options: blue and brown
- The keys require a gentle touch and prevent hand and wrist’s straining and fatigue. It is suitable for conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome
- It features a double-port USB 3.0 super-speed hub, offering up to 5 Gb/s
- The keyboard’s keys are inscribed with laser
- It uses NKRO instead of USB that increases typing and programming speed
- Includes an instant sleep button that efficiently saves energy
- It comes with a removable foot bar that can be utilized as a precision ruler
- Its cable has a length of 6.5 ft. to make usage more convenient
- The large volume knob on the keyboard allows users to adjust volume and gives instant access to media controls such as play and pause
- The keyboard is lightweight, convenient, and user-friendly
- It comes with a long, braided cable which allows for easy mobility
- Durable and long-lasting
- It gives you a premium feel and increases your typing speed
- It offers interference-free key functions with fast response rates
- The magnetic ruler often fails to stick to the keyboard
- The keyboard is too big in size
- The keys make a loud clicking sound which can be annoying for some users
The Das Keyboard 4 is great for regular use and provides users with a premium feel and an upgraded typing experience. It is easy to carry and its fantastic features such as the 2-port USB 2.0 hub allow you to charge your phone and transfer files on the go. Also, its top quality materials make it look shiny and new for a long time.
Filco Majestouch 2 Keyboard
The Filco Majestouch 2 Keyboard is extremely well assembled and is designed to last for a long time. Its strong build and keys with wear-free dyes makes it incredibly durable. This small keyboard provides you with a fast response time and increases your typing speed.
- Its dimensions are 7.32 x 5.43 x 1.42 inches
- Includes top-quality Cherry MX switches that boost typing speed
- The keyboard has a tangible feel with ergonomic abilities
- It has a rigid, strong build that promotes durability
- The N-Key roll-over function lets you press and register multiple keys at the same time
- The switches were tested and resulted in fifty-million actuation
- Blue LED backlight
- The keys are designed to not make clicking sounds
- It features a condensed keys design
- Flexible switches for typists and transcriptionists
- The keyboard features super-fast response time and speed
- Great build quality
- Good tactile feedback
- It has a standard keyboard layout
- The key print fades over time
- The blue LEDs can be distracting
- It’s heavy compared to other keyboards
The Filco Majestouch 2 Keyboard is fashioned to be durable and provides you with fast, responsive performance; all these boost your productivity as you type. Its compact design offers speed and precision for all types of users, be they gamers or transcriptionists.
Logitech K780 Keyboard
The Logitech K780 keyboard optimizes your workflow by allowing you to switch smoothly between three devices at the same time. This wireless keyboard is super easy to carry and elevates your typing speed and productivity without causing hand or wrist fatigue.
- It allows you to connect to three devices at the same time without interruption. It is suitable for computers, smartphones, and laptops
- The keyboard offers a 10m wireless range
- The keys are quiet and require only a gentle tap
- Full-sized keyboard with sizeable convenient keys and number pad to make typing effortless
- It includes a phone and tablet stand that holds gadgets at the ideal angle for reading and typing
- The keyboard is compatible with Mac OS x 10.10 and further, Windows 8 Plus, iOS 5 and plus, Android 5.0 and plus, and Chrome OS
- It automatically identifies and registers connected devices and provides you with a familiar layout
- It has a two-year battery life and doesn’t require regular battery changes
- It is user-friendly and convenient
- It is wireless
- Has a 2-year battery life
- Offers Bluetooth and USB connectivity
- Full-sized keyboard
- The auto-sleep feature powers off the keyboard after 30 seconds of not being in use
- It’s heavy
- The keyboard has a low-quality appearance
The Logitech K780 is a fairly priced ergonomic keyboard that has amazing features such as multiple device connectivity and Bluetooth plus USB connectivity. Its simple design and layout are easy on the hands and wrists and allow you to type effortlessly without errors, making it one of the best affordable keyboards for transcriptionists on a budget.
Kinesis Freestyle 2 Keyboard
The Kinesis Freestyle 2 is an adaptable ergonomic keyboard that is designed to provide comfort and boost your productivity. The key feature of the keyboard is its impressive customizability and adjustments for every user.
- It allows for easy mobility. You can rotate or disconnect the keys up to 9 inches to form natural wrist, hand, and arm positions that are comfortable for you
- Adjustable membrane key switches feature a stunted activation force that reduces finger and wrist impact, fatigue, and tension
- Includes a zero-degree slope along with cushioned palm supports accessory
- The Freestyle 2 for computers presents a standard Windows layout with a variety of keys: Copy, Paste, Multimedia, and an addition of 10 key to increase productivity
- USB wired keyboard with a removable pivot tether for adjustment
- Compatible with Windows 7 to 10, Chrome, and Linux
- The keyboard is adjustable and reduces fatigue and strain
- It is customizable and can easily be personalized
- It is affordable
- Great ergonomic design
- Durable and made of good-quality material
- The thumb pad requires practice to get used to
- The keyboard’s size is comparatively smaller
The Kinesis Freestyle 2 Keyboard features a unique ergonomic design and its main aim is to alleviate any tension in your hands or wrists. The Adjustable Split option lets you separate the keyboard into two parts so you can place them in the most comfortable position for yourself. Since it has a standard keyboard layout, you don’t need to get used to it before starting proper usage.
Things to Look For When Buying a Keyboard For Transcription
We spend a fair amount of time typing away on our keyboards and greatly relying on them, especially if your job revolves around them. Before you purchase any random keyboard for yourself, there are a few factors that you must keep in mind to end up with the best one possible.
You will find a large variety of keyboards, all of which are designed with unique features meant for different purposes. You should first determine what exactly you’ll be using a keyboard for. Keyboards for transcription typically feature ergonomic designs and light keys to make your working experience better and boosting your productivity; moreover, the instant response keys increase your typing speed.
Keys and Keystrokes
You should always check a keyboard’s keystrokes and keypad before buying it. You should get a keyboard that is suitable and comfortable for you; this can significantly increase your workflow and typing speed and effectively prevent fatigue and strain in your hands and wrists. If you’re a transcriptionist, we would recommend getting a keyboard with soft keys that require a gentle touch.
Compatibility With Devices
You should only purchase a keyboard that is compatible with your device. Some keyboards use USB connectivity while some are wireless.
Ergonomic keyboards enable you to position your hands in a natural position and rest them carefully on the board’s surface, providing maximum comfort. Transcriptionists are required to type daily, so ergonomic keyboards are a healthier choice compared to others as they can prevent conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome.
Out of all the keyboards that made it to our top five list, our favorite is the Fujitsu Hacking Professional Keyboard. Fujitsu’s Hacking Pro Keyboard is quite famous for its minimalist appearance and compact design, which condenses the standard keyboard layout into a 60-key layout for better convenience and efficiency.
The keyboard is an ideal size; it is small and light and does not take up your entire workspace. Its keys are soft and gentle, only requiring a gentle touch; this makes the keyboard ideal for daily typists and people suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. Its user-friendly design makes it suitable for both beginner and professional typists. If you’re a transcriptionist by profession, you should definitely opt for this keyboard.
We recommend this keyboard over its competitors due to its stunning design and lightweight body, remarkable ergonomic capabilities, fantastic performance, and advanced features that work together to improve your typing experience by providing comfort, increasing typing speed, and reducing the number of errors and typos.
Keyboads are important devices for transcriptionists as they tend to use them regularly, so choosing an appropriate keyboard is crucial. There are many keyboards available in the market that are designed for specific jobs like transcription – they vary in design, performance, price, features, and design.
The keyboards we have listed above are all highly recommended by transcriptionists and are incredible in performance, design, and speed. They offer accuracy, precision, and their intricate details make them ideal for typists. The well-spaced key placements and smart layouts boost typing speed and productivity. Their ergonomic capabilities let you type for long periods of time by allowing you to keep your hands in comfortable natural positions; this prevents any strain, aches, fatigue, and medical conditions.
Although we are confident that any of the above-mentioned keyboards would work well for you, we would recommend going over your own needs and preferences before making a decision. Choose whichever keyboard perfectly fulfills your wants and budgetary limit the best.
Leave a Reply