Table of Contents
- Differences of Internal Hard Drive and External Hard Drive
- Why Would You Choose an External Hard Drive?
- The Picks: 5 Best 8TB External Hard Drive
- Things to Know When Choosing the Right 8TB External Hard Drive
- Final Words
With COVID still on the loose, employed individuals and students have to restrict themselves to their homes’ confines. Personal life and offices are no longer separate. Students get their education right from the comfort of their homes. With this “digital” way of life, the demand for external hard drives is increasing.
Latest update on 2022-11-19 | Images | Affiliate links from Amazon Product Advertising API
External hard drives are portable drives that allow you to store your files, photos, and videos while providing you with a massive storage space. These devices come in all shapes and sizes and only require you to plug them into your laptop or computer, and voila, they have made the transfer of the files easy!
External hard drives, you own your content and can take it anywhere you want and connect it to any device. There is no third-party involved. Moreover, hard drives are safer, reliable, and cheaper than online drives or cloud storage.
Differences of Internal Hard Drive and External Hard Drive
- Operating systems of your device and software update files are pre-installed to internal drives. You can use the external hard drives for file transfers and back-ups.
- Internal hard drive directly connects to the motherboard of your computer/laptop. In comparison, external hard drives are portable and come in all shapes and sizes.
- External hard drives get the power from either a data cable or AC power. In contrast, internal hard drives draw power from the power supply from inside a computer.
- Your files can be at a relatively higher risk if it’s on an external hard drive because they’re portable, making them a lot more under threat. Whereas on internal hard drive, there is no direct access. You either have to completely dismantle the device physically or have complete control of your laptop or computer.
Why Would You Choose an External Hard Drive?
- To move your content, data, files, movies, photos, videos from one place to another
- To back up when internal storages of devices fail to keep up. You may even use it when you have to recover your devices. It allows easy transfer of data. It also remains safe, and you can safely recover it at any time.
- To enjoy added security and comfort of mind.
- To get your desired storage capacity to lighten up your laptop or computer.
- To provide storage to an entire network. Multiple users can log in to these network devices at once.
The Picks: 5 Best 8TB External Hard Drive
Here are the five 8TB devices that have been on the top:
Seagate Expansion 8TB External Hard Drive HDD
As time passes, more and more people are starting to leave behind physical CDs and movies into digital format. Software has become user friendly these days. Downloads are robust, so there are huge collections out there. All these collections need a place to store, and your PC might not be the best option. That is where an external hard drive, such as Seagate, comes in.
It has been in the market quite dominatingly for a long time with a track record of a healthy reputation. Weighing only 2 pounds, this device has a 13-inch USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 cable compatible with your Windows. For Mac software, you need to reformat it. It has an 18W power adapter.
It is chic looking for your workspace, but it does not slag for an HDD device when it comes to speed. It is not bulky and will hide well in your external setup. Its maximum speed is 160MB/s, which doesn’t compete with the fastest speeds but doesn’t keep you waiting. Besides, it is space-efficient with its 3.5 inches body.
The casing features a black diamond-like texture like most modern hard drives. The casing is tough, but you still need to be careful as the drive inside is fragile. It comes in only black color. It performs exceptionally well. It may take only a few seconds to transfer each gigabyte of the data. That is why it is an excellent option for large backups.
- It has a built-in power management feature.
- It requires two cords for installation.
- The maximum speed is 160 MBs.
- It comes with 4-inch USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 cables.
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- It is user friendly.
- The installation is easy; it doesn’t require any software or configuration.
- The data transfer is fast with it.
- It has backup software.
- It heats up fast.
- The reading and writing performance suffer sometimes.
The Seagate Expansion 8TB External Hard Drive is for everyday casual use. Too much work could overheat the drives’ system. Many users have complained about it. Other than that, the device offers comfort and ease for average storage usage.
Fantom Drives 8TB External Hard Drive – 7200RPM
Diversity and versatility are necessary for technology, and this external hard drive offers just that. It is compatible with both Mac and Windows. The device has durable aluminum for its composition. It has a black finish, which allows the device to keep cool without any noise. The device works effectively on PC, Macbook Pro, Xbox One, and PS4 (PlayStation 4) with Patch 4.5+.
Its plug and play nature allows it to connect to any device. This way, you can easily take advantage of its fast 7200 RPM. It allows you fast data transfer. To prevent bottlenecking, you can use the USB 3.2. It lets the data pass through with ease because of the increase in RPM. However, with speed comes heat. It would help if you kept it in a cooler place for the heat to dissipate quickly.
It has a USB 3.0, which fastens up data transfer as compared to USB 2.0. It provides you with a 7200rpm speed, which is 33% faster than its alternative. You can set it up both horizontally and vertically, whatever suits your style and space. It’s both lightweight and space friendly with a 1-year warranty.
- It is compatible with Windows 7, 10, and other newer versions.
- It has a fan-free design.
- It supports Mac OSX 10.6.
- The performance speed is 7200 RPM.
- It has an aluminum case.
- It is versatile; it works for both PC users and gamers.
- The plug and play feature makes it user friendly.
- Its operation is quiet.
- The USB 3.2 and 7200 RPM makes data transfer fast.
- It’s heavy on the pockets
- It can heat up sometimes.
The Fantom Drives 8TB External Hard Drive offers diversity with its connections. Although costly, it is an investment in a product that offers a lot more, especially when it comes to speed and durability. It is best for gamers, especially.
Western Digital 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive
This hard drive comes in a variety of storage options. It is lightweight and portable. It is a good option if you want more storage for little money. It also provides you with added security. Western digital’s hard drive works like a dream with the latest USB 3.0 and is compatible with USB 2.0 devices. File transfer is 10 times faster with USB 3.0. Its plug and play feature allows you to use it as soon as you take it out of the box.
This hard drive has a sleek and slim design with rounded edges. It doesn’t come with any software, so you may have to buy that yourself. It claims reliability with added style and is shock tolerant. Its durable enclosure renders it added security. Besides, it is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, and Windows 7. The device comes with a USB cable, AC adapter, and Quick Install Guide. It has a 2-year limited warranty.
- It has USB, USB 3.0, and 2.0 interfaces.
- It is compatible with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- It is formatted NTFS.
- It is compatible with Mac and PC.
- It weighs 2.09 lbs.
- It has a sleek design
- It doesn’t heat up.
- It’s ‘Plug and Play.’
- It comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
- It lets you configure it if you need it.
- You may have to pay extra for an included backup software.
With a 2-year warranty, the Western Digital 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive is excellent for everyday use. However, it doesn’t always mean it would work swiftly on heavy-duty when it comes to low prices. Other than that, it’s perfect for back up.
Glyph Studio S8000 8TB External Hard Drive
This heavy-duty drive, with its heavy functions, may deceive you with its less stylish look. It provides the right storage solution with much security for your computer contents. The 8TB space would be more than enough for storing your documents, media files, and more.
It has an internal power supply and a fan to keep the device safe from overheating without any noise. It has an aluminum casing, which ensures its durability. With a fast transfer USB 3.0, a FireWire 800 and an eSATA, it transfers with a speed of 184Mb per second. The device is compatible with Windows XP and other Windows versions, with Mac OSX 10.4 and above. Hence, its usage is diverse.
With its 4 lbs., it is not exactly lightweight. It comes with a mounting rack that is available separately. The box includes a glyph USB 3.0 cable, glyph FireWire 800 cable, and IEC Power Cable. Besides, this hard drive comes with a 3-year warranty, 2-year data backup warranty, and 1-year replacement guarantee. If you were unsure until now, this warranty should sway you in favor of this product.
- It comes with HFS+ journaling.
- It has a professional grade power supply.
- It is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
- It comes with a 1-year advance replacement.
- It supports Logic, AVID, Adobe CC, DP, Nuendo, Cubase, and Pro Tools.
- The whole body is metal.
- It has an independent cooling system.
- The interface options are versatile.
- It performs well; transfer speed is good.
- It comes with a 3-year hardware coverage and a 2-year level 1 data recovery.
- It is costly.
- The waterproof case and rack mount is available separately.
The Glyph Studio S8000 8TB External Hard Drive is an excellent investment for those who have heavy-duty work or even an average amount of data. However, the price point does create a chasm for buyers, but with a greater price, it provides you with a greater variety in just one metal box.
LaCie D2 Professional 8TB External Hard Drive Portable Desktop HDD
Despite having a full-sized HDD inside, this hard drive looks slim and sleek. Since LaCie is a design-forward company, this product looks relatively modern. The front of this device is neat except for a pulsating orb light that indicates that it is in use. You will find rubber feet supporting the body of the drive. It means that the device won’t slide around.
The manufacturer has encased it in a heat-dissipating aluminum sheet, which helps with heat build-up. It has a durable ad rugged build. We’d confidently say that it can take a drop or two. This device reads and writes fast, thus suitable for content creators.
This device makes an impression for SSD laptops or computers that always pop up on your screen of limited internal storage. Its transfer is faster with a speed of 240MB/s. When it comes to compatibility, it covers all areas. It comes with Thunderbolt 3, USB-C, and USB 3.0 adaption.
The aluminum enclosure promises durability. Its quiet fan keeps the heat moving out as you work without the noise or hassle. What makes it stand out most is its 5-years data recovery services.
- It allows easy edit and archive.
- Barracuda Pro enterprise-class drive furnishes it.
- It has a 240MB/s transfer speed.
- It has USB 3.0, 3.1, and Thunderbolt 3.
- It allows you to charge your MacBook and MacBook Pro.
- It performs very well.
- It has a 5-year recovery warranty.
- It is lightweight.
- It has diverse compatibility.
- It is quite expensive
- It has some bug issues, but one can resolve them.
LaCie D2 is a great option, with diverse users, and is a great deal with good reviews. Price point is an issue though. however, many of its users claim it to be efficient for their file transfer.
Things to Know When Choosing the Right 8TB External Hard Drive
Cloud storage is always keeping you on your feet when it comes to security. You cannot discover the lost data, but with an external hard drive, data is right there in the palm of your hands. However, there are a few essential things to be mindful of when choosing the right hard drive.
This aspect depends solely on you. The whole point of a portable device is that it provides you with flexible space, especially for gamers. Gaming without an external device is burdensome and often hangs your computer. Storage can go up to 270 TB, whatever suits your lifestyle best. When choosing an 8TB device, one needs to make sure that it matches its storage and doesn’t lag.
If you’re going to be investing in a device might as well make sure it lasts. Durability is essential, especially in modern times when such a hard drive has heavy usage. This aspect comes in handy when traveling. Some devices fail to keep up so, and you must be sure of getting your money’s worth. For travelers, the device requires extra features such as it being water or shockproof.
Many devices fail to connect to the host device, i.e., your laptop or computer, due to differences in models and software. Some devices are compatible only with Windows 10, making it difficult for the device to connect with Macbooks and Linux. Be mindful of what will be most adaptable to the devices.
File transfers in bulk is too time-consuming and can hinder the rest of your work. SSDs, i.e., solid-state drive, are a lot faster than HDDs (hard drive disk). SSDs are, however, costly, whereas HDDs are slower in nature and cheap.
Safety always comes first, be it your data or of any other kind of data. Security has always been a cause of concern on clouds or any other online storage. When choosing a hard drive, be sure to satisfy your mind with the product that offers maximum security. Many external hard drives already come with encryption for your data. However, if you prefer extra safety, you can opt for a device that has a pin code input system.
The choice of a hard drive depends on your requirement. But we’d say that WD 8TB Elements is the best in this list, with LaCie D2 Professional as the runner up. It fits the diversity of individuals, such as gamers, studio work, travelers, photographers, and the list. Although costly, its adaptability, user-friendly interface, and body make it worth the money you pay for it.
Storage has always been a significant issue for almost everyone at one point in our lives, especially when traveling for work and keeping sensitive data secure. There are online solutions like dropbox and google drive, but there is always a risk with hackers and third-party websites. Hard drives present one of the best storage solutions. They can quickly connect to your PC, Macbook, and other devices. We have reviewed some of the best and recommend WD 8TB as the best hard disk to suit your requirements.
Leave a Reply