Table of Contents
- The Picks: 10 Best 3D Printers for Cosplay
- Things to Know When Looking For 3D Printer for Cosplay
- Final Words
You may have heard about 3D printing. They are what the name refers to; 3D printers that print in 3 directions. 3D printers print one tiny slice at a time using plastic filaments. Those uniquely designed slices fall on top of one another and build complex shapes and structures. No area is left untouched by this modern technology and cosplay is no exception.
Cosplay is a kind of performance art where people dress up as their favorite characters. Cosplayers work very hard to get the right costumes and practice for days to get into the character. Cosplayers can be very passionate about their hobby.
Many cosplay artists get stuck when they are creating their costumes. Despite putting in hours of work, you might still be not satisfied with the end result. Some people have the choice to buy from a prop shop. Others prefer to use 3d printers for fulfilling their needs. Not the costume itself but props and armors can be made with 3D printers. You can step-up your cosplay game with 3d printers. You don’t necessarily have to be an expert at 3D printers to use it successfully. But before you decide on a printer consider the following.
- What type of model do you wish to make?
- What do you intend to use the model for?
Think about how active you will be when you are in the costume. Also, think about how you’ll move in the costume around people and how durable you want it to be. You should also determine whether you want a large print or fine details. The filament you use will depend upon the requirements of your project.
To save you from spending hours on the internet searching for the perfect 3D printer, we collected information about the products and went through their online customer reviews, and created a list.
The Picks: 10 Best 3D Printers for Cosplay
QIDI TECH X Max 3D Printer
This 3D printer is a high-end product that will help you make your desired cosplay costumes. The 5-inches touch screen interface of this printer is easy to use. The plate of this printer is removable and can be used multiple times. The removable plate allows the artist to take out the build and remove it with ease. It can use nylon, carbon, PLA, and many more filaments. The print surface is big so you can build large volumes at once. Since it has an enclosed design, it is easy to maintain the temperature. This also means that you can’t see the print building, so if there are any errors, you’ll have to wait until it is complete.
This printer has WiFi connectivity, so you can control the print process through your phone or laptop. The hot plate is about 8 mm thick and made from aluminum alloy, so it is very durable. It is equipped with a four-side cooling system. It helps reduce the temperature of the build so it can be removed safely from the plate. You’ll get very detailed and high-quality armors and props with this printer.
- The maximum print size is 270 X 200 X 200 mm
- Print speed is 30-150 mm/sec
- Extruder temperature goes up to 300 °C
- Supports PC, nylon, TPU, carbon fiber, PETG, ABS, and PLA materials
- Requires 350 W power
- The nozzle diameter is 0.4 mm
- Has WiFi, USB, and LAN connectivity
- Operates very quietly
- Build volume is large
- The platform is removable, magnetic, and bendable
- The plate levels automatically
- Makes smooth prints
- The slicer could perform better
- Doesn’t have a filament run-out sensor
The QIDI TECH X Max 3D Printer has multiple features that make using it easy and fun but it also has a matching price tag. The detailed prints make every penny worth it though. Also, Qidi tech prides itself in the great customer service they provide.
Dremel Digilab 3D20 3D Printer
If you have the skills of a beginner at 3D printing then this printer would be the right choice for you. This printer is very easy to operate and once you know how to run it, you’ll be obsessed. This high-end printer makes very detailed and durable products. The assembly is very easy and you can start using it as soon as you take it out of the box. The Dremel’s slicing software works very well with it.
This printer has an enclosed design. The acrylic bed is not heated but is removable. The 4-inches colored LCD touch screen is also easy to use. We’d have liked it if the build plate was a bit bigger, but it will work very well for beginners. It uses PLA filaments that are safe for use by children. The extruder temperature can go up to 230 °C. The extruder has a fan that makes sure that every PLA section is evenly layered reducing the chances of errors. It is also compatible with an SD card. It requires manual plate leveling.
- The maximum print size is 230 X 150 X 140 mm
- The resolution of prints is about 100 microns
- Uses PLA filaments
- The bed is not heated
- The extruder is pre-installed
- Is compatible with SD cards
- Extruder temperature can go up to 230 °C
- The prints are highly detailed
- Operation is quiet
- Safe for use of children
- Very easy to use
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- The build plate is a bit small
- It requires manual plate leveling
This plug and play machine is perfect for hobbyists that are beginners at 3D printing. If nothing else, the quality of prints alone will sway you into buying it. If you are willing to put up with manual plate leveling then you should really give the Dremel Digilab 3D20 3D Printer a try.
Monoprice Maker Select Plus 3D Printer
This printer has a big installation space and makes some high-quality prints. It is equipped with a very easy-to-use 3.2-inches LCD touch screen. The screen shows printing progress in percentage. You can also stop and pause printing by one touch. It has a high-quality control box and MK-10 extruder with an anti-jam effect. It is also very easy to assemble. It is suitable for beginners and pros alike as it comes pre-calibrated. It supports various types of filaments. The aluminum building platform is heated. The extruder has a wide temperature range.
It has an improved design and offers a 24 V power system as well as modular cartridges for cartridges holders. We’d have really liked it if it operated without making noise. It comes with a PLA filament roll and a 2 GB micro SD card.
- The maximum print size is 200 X 200 X 180 mm
- The layer resolution is 400 microns
- Maximum printing speed is 150 mm/sec
- Has extruder with direct drive
- Is compatible with Cura, Repetier, and other slicer software
- Maximum extruder temperature is 240 °C
- Is easy to assemble and use
- Has USB and SD card compatibility
- The operating temperature range is wide
- Is very suitable for beginners
- Makes high-quality prints with intricate details
- Is a bit noisy
- Requires manual leveling of bed
This easy to assemble and use printer is a good choice for all cosplay enthusiasts. Although we would have liked it to have a filament run-out system, you can still use the Monoprice Maker Select Plus 3D Printer to make prints with fine details in little time.
LulzBot TAZ 6 3D Printer
If you are serious about making some good quality cosplay costumes then this should really be on your list. It has an exceptional build both on the inside and outside. It looks massive because it has an aluminum machine profile and has metal brackets and printed parts. The overall design of this printer is attractive and makes it look user-friendly.
It uses a glass bed that has a silicone heated mat on the bottom and a PEI sheet on the top. Precision-machined washers are used for automatic bed compensation and to hold the various parts down. It uses the famous and reliable Wade’s extruder. The hot-end carriage has three fans. The 500W Meanwell machine supplies power to the whole machine. The printing speed of this printer is a bit low because it prioritizes quality. You’ll be happy with the looks of the final product.
- The maximum print size is 280 X 280 X 250 mm
- Uses dual extruder
- Layer resolution is 0.05 to 0.5 mm
- Maximum temperature of the hotend is 300 °C
- Supports SD card
- The bed level automatically
- The nozzle has a self-clean feature
- Has large build volume
- Supports up to 30 material filaments
- Has extra features for advanced players
- Some users faced issues with the z-axis
- Is not very power efficient
The LulzBot TAZ 6 3D Printer makes large prints with impressive details. The price is high but it is justified with quality and features. It comes with Cura already installed in it. Its ease of use will sway many users.
Anycubic Full Metal i3 Mega 3D Printer
This printer is among the affordable bunch. Being affordable doesn’t mean that it lacks features. Quite the opposite, it helps you build any kind of props and armors. You won’t have to spend hours assembling it. In comparison to the expensive and high-end printers, it will pleasantly surprise you.
It is a very good choice if you are a beginner at 3D printing. The 3.5-inches TFT touch screen of this printer is very responsive. It is easy to clean and operate. The hotbed is not removable and requires manual leveling. It is compatible with an SD card and USB cable. It supports PLA, ABS, HIPS, PETG, and wood material. It is capable of working at 400 °C. The printing technology used in this printer is fused deposition modeling. It stops automatically when the filament runs out of resume printing once the filament is re-loaded.
- The maximum print size is 210 X 210 X 205 mm
- The extruder temperature can reach up to 260 °C
- It works at a printing speed of 20 -100 mm/sec
- Can print layers with resolution up to 0.3 mm
- It is compatible with SD cards and USB cables
- It supports PLA, ABS, HIPS, PETG, and wood material
- It is compatible with Cura, Repetier-Host, and Simplify 3D slicer software
- Is very portable
- Makes detailed prints
- Is easy to use and operate
- Decent build volume
- Is also easy to clean
- Requires manual leveling of bed
- Might have difficulty with long prints
The Anycubic Full Metal i3 Mega 3D Printer has a simple assembly and is easy to operate. The quality of the prints is clean and detailed. It is a good choice for cosplay artists on a budget.
ADIMLab Pro 3D Printer
This printer is suitable for cosplayers because it makes large prints in one go. You can get very creative and make some unique designs. It comes mostly pre-assembled; you won’t have to do much to start using it. The instructions provided with it are very clear. It is fast with a price range that will make you very happy.
The print bed is heated and uses glue to adhere to the objects securely. Don’t worry though, you can also easily remove them once they are done. The temperature of the bed goes up to 100 °C, while the extruder can heat up to 260 °C. Since it supports various types of filaments, you won’t be restricted in your creativity when it comes to your project. It has a sturdy aluminum frame, which adds to its durability. It also has a nozzle light, which comes in handy when you’re working in a poorly lit area. The motor silencer will let you print for hours in peace.
- The maximum print size is 310 X 310 X 410 mm
- Layer resolution is 0.05 to 0.3 mm
- The nozzle diameter is 0.4 mm
- Maximum printing speed is 150 mm/sec
- Extruder temperature can reach up to 260 °C
- Comes with SD card and some other accessories
- Very easy assembly
- Has sturdy build
- Fast print speed
- Affordable price
- Good customer service
- Some users have faced temperature issues
- Auto-leveling could be improved
The ADIMLab Pro 3D Printer is very easy to assemble and use. The motor silencer and nozzle light add more value to the price. If you face any issues, they will be covered in the warranty. Great customer care is a cherry on top.
BIBO 2 Touch Laser 3D Printer
This laser 3D printer is sturdy with its metal exterior. It is user-friendly and has a full-color touch screen. One feature that makes it stand out in the crowd is its laser engraving module. It allows you to engrave on plastic, leather, wood, and cardboard. It allows you to customize your cosplay models as much as you’d like. It has a heated bed that is removable and already leveled. You’d rarely need to level it again.
Its copy printing feature allows you to print two copies of the same object at the same time. This way you can print two objects at the same time. This will save you a lot of time. It has the ability to print two colored objects at one time without requiring a filament change. It has WiFi connectivity, which allows you to print from your phone, tablet, and PC. The filament detection feature pauses the printing process if the filament runs out. The resume print feature restarts the printing once you reload the filament or lose power.
- The maximum print size is 214 X 186 X 160 mm
- Nozzle temperature can reach up to 270 °C
- The printing layer resolution is 0.3 mm
- Supports ABS, PLA, HIPS, nylon, carbon fiber, PETG, and many more filaments
- Supports WiFi, SD card, and USB cable
- The hot plate is removable
- The frame is very sturdy
- Has copy printing feature
- Has filament run-out detection sensor
- Is very user friendly
- Good customer service
- The enclosed design doesn’t allow the print is built to be seen
- Makes a bit of noise
The BIBO 2 Touch Laser 3D Printer will save a lot of your time. Its laser engraving feature and printing with two colors at the same time has made it a hit among customers. It is a bit pricey but it makes high-quality prints that’ll win you over.
Creality CR-10S 3D Printer
This printer wins the prize for ease of assembly. It may intimidate you with its complex looks but it’s quite easy to operate. It is reasonably priced and has some great features. It has a large build surface so it can print big objects. It has a filament runout detector that lets the user know that the filament needs reloading. It also has a resume print feature that automatically starts the printing in case of power loss.
The heated glass bed is removable. So, you can easily take your prints out. It supports more than 10 filament materials. It is easy to operate and doesn’t make much noise. The prints that it makes are durable with fine details.
- The maximum print size is 300 X 300 X 400 mm
- The nozzle reaches up to 220 °C
- Maximum printing speed is 200 mm/sec
- The layer resolution is 0.4 mm
- Has a filament run-out detector
- Supports USB and SD card
- Has big print size
- Moves smoothly and prints faster
- Has resume printing feature
- Is very easy to assemble
- Supports up to 10 filament materials
- The print bed may take some time in reaching the desired temperature
- Requires manual leveling of bed
The Creality CR-10S 3D Printer makes large objects in one go, so you don’t have to glue small parts together. It is very easy to assemble and operates quietly. It is a very good pick for many cosplay enthusiasts.
Wanhao Duplicator i3 PLUS
This 3D printer has been redesigned and has all the qualities of a high-quality printer. Its assembly is fairly simple and the operation is even easier. This powerful printer comes with an updated Cura already installed in it. However, it is also compatible with other slicer software programs. It has an integrated control unit, which means that it has a smaller footprint and fewer cables to make a trip hazard.
The touch display makes using this printer a breeze. It supports large SD cards as opposed to the previous version, which used a micro SD card. The calibration and bed leveling is automatic. The distance between the nozzle and the building platform is automatically set. The plate is removable so extracting your finished print is made easy. Since the plate is magnetic, you don’t have to use glue or any other type of adhesive to secure the print.
The MK10 hosted on this printer can reach temperatures up to 290 °C. The print size is big and would make many artists happy. The metal frame provides stability to the printer.
- The maximum print volume is 200 X 200 X 180 mm
- Layer resolution is 0.1 to 0.4 mm
- Maximum print speed is 100 mm/sec
- Supports ABS, PLA, carbon fiber, and ninja flex filaments
- Hotend reaches temperature up to 290 °C
- Comes with an SD card and other accessories
- Easy assembly and operation
- Prints quietly
- Comes with the pre-installed slicer software
- Automatic bed leveling
- The magnetic bed doesn’t require the use of glue
- May require some fine-tuning
- May need some bearing to avoid jerky prints
The Wanhao Duplicator i3 PLUS has all the features of the ideal 3D printer. It is easy to assemble and use. It also has automatic bed leveling. It supports various filaments and allows you to be creative.
Ultimaker 2 Extended Plus
This printer is very reliable and suitable for printing cosplay props. Since it requires almost no assembly, you can start printing with it right after unpacking. The print bed is heat-able so you can use various filaments with this printer. It is equipped with an Olsson block that lets you change four nozzles with different diameters.
This printer lets you adjust temperature and printing speed. It uses thicker filaments. The interior of the printer is illuminated with LEDs. The improved feeder allows you to easily swap filaments. The fan caps are optimized and let the air blow just below the nozzle from both sides. It is compatible with USB and SD cards.
- Maximum print size is 22.3 X 22.3 X 30.5 cm
- Maximum layer resolution is 20 microns
- Printing speed is 30 to 300 mm/sec
- Filament diameter is 2.85 mm
- Uses single extruder
- Has SD card and USB connectivity
- The updated extruder is high quality
- The build volume is large
- The heated bed lets you work with various filaments
- Pre-installed Cura slicer software
- No automatic calibration
The Ultimaker 2 Extended Plus has a decently large print volume and an illuminated interior. The LCD display and the clear control panel make the printer very easy to use. It does take some time in heating up but that can be ignored seeing as it is capable of some amazing performance.
Things to Know When Looking For 3D Printer for Cosplay
You may see several product reviews like this one, which is bound to confuse you. To help you choose the best 3D printer we have made this short buying guide. No matter what you decide, take a look at the following features and you’ll understand what suits you the best.
Since you want to make cosplay costumes, you’d need a printer with a large build volume. You’ll be able to make bigger objects, which you can stick together and make a costume from. So, buy something keeping that in mind.
Cosplay costumes mostly use PLA and ABS, but they may also require wood, leather, and other materials. Choose a 3D printer that supports these materials.
Ease of Use
It doesn’t matter whether you are a pro or a beginner. You’d want to buy a printer that is easy to assemble and use. You’d be easily frustrated if you have to learn the hows and ifs of the printer.
Make sure that the printer that you buy has good customer reviews and a warranty. Read the reviews for the print quality. Some manufacturers may even allow you to order a print sample of the printer you want to buy.
Your safety should be your first priority. Go for printers that are enclosed. That would protect you from heat. These printers allow the print to cool off with their cooling system. You can then safely remove them. However, you still need to be cautious while using the printer.
Our top pick is the QIDI Tech X Max 3D printer. It has a large touch screen, decent build volume, and a removable plate. The prints that it makes are also impressive with high accuracy.
The runner-up of best 3D printer is Wanhao Duplicator i3. It has all the features of a high-end 3D printer. We just like the print quality of the former one better.
Best Value for Money
The best value for money is the Dremel Digilab 3D20 3D Printer. This little printer is very useful but it has a small print volume. It makes highly detailed prints and is very affordable.
3D printers are exciting inventions that make activities like cosplay even more fun. We have enlisted some of the best 3D printers with large print volumes available in the market here. They are all easy to assemble and use. It would not be hard to make a good decision with the guide that we have provided. Good luck!
Leave a Reply