Table of Contents
- Reviewing The Best Antivirus for a Gaming PC (Free and Paid)
- What Factors Should You Consider Before Settling on an Antivirus Software for your Gaming PC?
It goes without saying that antivirus software for your gaming PC is a must-have. Nowadays, hackers are using ingenious ways to get into your system. If you leave your gaming PC unprotected, you can easily lose your game progress and all your personal information. Imagine spending hours and money on tweaking your gaming PC to your taste only to have it shut down by some malicious malware from website you cannot even remember visiting. To protect you from this, installing the best antivirus program is highly recommended.
Poring through the details of all the available products can take up quite some time as they are quite many. This is why this list has been curated to include all you need to know about antivirus services for your gaming PC. The products listed in this guide include both free and paid for antivirus programs.
Reviewing The Best Antivirus for a Gaming PC (Free and Paid)
Bitdefender Box 2 Antivirus
Advanced antivirus protection for your gaming PC and other devices
Bitdefender Box 2 is high performance antivirus software for your gaming PC, smart phone and Wi-Fi as well. Bitdefender Box 2 can also be used to protect your Google assistant from malicious malware.
- Tracks and manages which sites can collect your personal data
- Protects an unlimited number of devices including your gaming PC and other gaming consoles
- Offers one year unlimited security
- 1.2 GHz Dual Core processor
- Package includes 1 year subscription to Bitdefender Total Security and to the Box Service.
Nowadays, hackers can be able to easily pry into all your information because of connected devices. Using antivirus software that protects all your internet-enabled devices is highly recommended. This is where a product like Bitdefender Box 2 comes in. If you have a wide array of connected devices, this antivirus product seamlessly works to protect all of them.
The latest Bitdefender version has new advanced features that stand out. For example, its microphone monitor alerts you when applications have access to your device. This protects you from spyware and viruses as well. It also offers the new and improved parental guidance options that allow you to monitor your child’s activity. This is a key feature because a child can easily install viruses on your gaming PC without them knowing.
- Easy to set up and use
- Offers parental control features
- Can be connected to an unlimited number of devices
- Not equipped to handle difficult tech- complexities
- Takes up quite a number of resources to work
Bitdefender Box 2 is a good buy for the numerous advanced features it offers you. Its wide range compatibility particularly makes it unique. It is also great value for money as you get top notch security for an unlimited number of connected devices.
Norton Antivirus Plus 2020
Smart firewall that includes a password manager and PC Cloud Backup
Norton Antivirus Plus 2020 is an updated antivirus software that is compatible with a gaming PC.
- Compatible with Windows 7, 8.1, 10 and Mac OS
- Covers a maximum of 1 device
- Blocks unauthorized traffic ensuring your gaming PC runs as fast as possible
Norton Antivirus software is the ultimate protection for your gaming PC. It protects your gaming data and your PC in general from malware and spyware. It also has a PC cloud backup system which you can use to back-up all the data in your gaming PC. This is a preventative measure in case your hard drive fails or malicious ransom ware attacks your PC.
With Norton antivirus, you can be sure that your valuable gaming data will be protected from any loss. It even automatically renews itself every year for continuous protection of your gaming PC. Canceling your subscription is still easy but you might not find any reason to really.
- Does not slow down your gaming PC
- Easy to install within minutes
- Automatically renews itself every year
- Updates are regularly released
- New versions require you to register your credit card during signing up
Norton Antivirus 2020 is top-notch software for your gaming PC. However, it has its fair share of faults. Its automatic subscription, for instance, can be both a pro and con. While it allows you to cancel the auto-renewal, the forced automatic renewal might not be what you are looking for.
2 years protection on your gaming PC
Avast Premium 2020 is optimal security for your gaming PC.
- Works on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
- Protects 1 device only
- Secures your browsing, network and emails as well
For over 30 years, Avast has been dominating the market with cutting edge antivirus software. Avast Premium Security is quality antivirus software that offers virus protection, threat detection and behavioral analysis. All these features make it a good fit for a gaming PC as it still does not slow down devices.
- Seamless automatic renewal with the activation code
- Easy to install
- Minimal stress on your system
- Reasonably priced
- To avoid conflict with other running apps, you need to add exceptions when using the firewall or while scanning
- Popup banners to upgrade to pro might be a tad annoying for a gamer
For 2 years protection on your gaming PC, Avast Premium Security 2020 is one of the best antivirus products. Besides protection from malicious sites and viruses, Avast also offers you protection and behavioral analysis of the programs in your gaming PC making it a good buy.
Heavy duty antivirus that identifies and blocks malware
Kaspersky Antivirus is ideal for a gamer as it runs quietly in the background with minimal distractions for a good gaming experience.
- Comes with additional accessories like a file shredder
- A single subscription covers 3 PCs
- Real-time updates often sent out
- Spots phishing and prevents malware
- Platforms include Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and 7 as well as Mac OS X
The latest Kapersky antivirus program offers unmatched protection to its uses. For instance, it has password syncing features as well as the ability to protect sensitive folders from prying eyes. Beyond its good performance in AV testing, these additional tools make it great value for your money.
- Does not outrageously compromise your system’s performance
- Quite affordable
- Easy to download and install
- Protects your privacy as well
For protection of all your devices, Kaspersky is award-winning security software. You can be assured that your gaming data as well as other personal data will be safe and protected.
Webroot Secure Anywhere
Lightweight program, ideal for uninterrupted gameplay
A lightweight antivirus, Webroot Secure Anywhere is the right buy for protecting your gaming PC.
- Adjustable settings
- Protects against malware, spyware and rootkits
- Stays current, no need for updates
- Offers 15 months security for 1 PC
Webroot Secure Anywhere only takes up a few megabytes on your disk space. The installation process takes a few minutes and your PC will be secure and protected at a fraction of the storage space taken up by other antivirus programs.
To add, there is a special version for gamers. This version is wired to keep your gaming PC as light as possible for enhanced performance. It does this using system optimization tools that clear traces of online activity as well as analyze all issues that might make your system run slower than it should.
- Really light and does not take up a lot of storage
- Installs quickly
Webroot Secure Anywhere is a particularly good buy for your gaming PC because of the minimal space it takes up.
In addition to all the products stated above, most Antivirus manufacturers offer compressed, free versions. Here are some of the best options:
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
Strong software, ideal for gaming and video editing devices
This is the free version of the powerful and lightweight software, Bitdefender.
- Works in Windows as well as android and iOS devices
- Offers multi-layered protection
- Particularly good for gaming and other applications that are resource-intensive
Particularly good for gaming and video editing, Bitdefender Antivirus free edition is good software for your gaming PC. While it does not have all the features of a paid-Bitdefender, it gives your gaming PC the protection it needs. It is also quite powerful yet light enough for you to continue gaming smoothly. This makes it a good product for your gaming PC.
- Runs a complete scan at fast speeds
- Installs within minutes
- Even when running at maximum speeds, it does not slow down your gaming PC
- Scans cannot be scheduled
- May not be ideal for advanced users who would want more control
Although this product is free, it offers excellent virus detection and scanning. It protects your gaming PC from malware that could prove disastrous. For additional features, you should consider the Bitdefender Box 2.
Avast Free Antivirus
Password manager and virus detector
This is free software for protection against viruses and other threats.
- Operating system: Android, Windows and Mac OS
- Password management software
- Includes a ‘Do Not Disturb Mode’ that blocks popups while you are gaming
- Works in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
Avast Free Antivirus for your gaming PC will offer you virus protection, password management and threat-detection features. Once installed, you are assured of protection from viruses as well as a gaming PC that runs at its optimal. Avast Free Antivirus is cloud-light and does not slow down your PC. This makes it enticing for a gamer because most gaming experiences highly depend on the speed and efficiency of your processor.
Finally, what makes Avast a really good buy for gamers is the ‘Do Not Disturb Mode’ or ‘Game Mode’ in older versions. Once installed, Avast will ensure you enjoy your gaming experience by blocking any ads or popups.
- Does not slow down your PC as it really is feather-light
- Easy to install and utilize
- Takes up minimal storage space
Avast’s free version is a commendable product that is easy to install and use.. At no cost at all, you cannot go wrong with Avast antivirus. It even has a specific feature for uninterrupted gaming sessions.
Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Recent addition to the foray of free internet protection services
This free antivirus from Kaspersky gives you adequate protection against viruses and spyware.
- Operating system: Windows
- Offers spyware protection and anti-phishing
As is with free antivirus programs, Kaspersky free antivirus is a minimized version of the paid Kaspersky anti-virus program. Therefore, there are a few additional features you might miss with the free version. For example, paid Kaspersky offers you privacy protection while the free version does not.
Nonetheless, this does not take away from the fact that free Kaspersky antivirus is still a good enough program to protect your gaming PC from viruses and malware.
- Easy to install and use
- Does not constantly pressure you to upgrade to the full, paid version
Compared to the paid-for Kaspersky antivirus, the free version is powerful as well. With no frills, it gets the job of protecting your gaming PC done.
Avira Free Antivirus
Good antivirus but with frequent popup ads and alerts
The frequent ads even while gaming might make this software less appealing but it is good at detecting and blocking out viruses.
- Operating system: Windows, Android and iOS
- In-built VPN
- Offers protection against ransom ware, viruses and phishing
For virus and phishing protection on your gaming PC, Avira free antivirus is up to task. In fact, on the AV- testing program, Avira free antivirus detects and deals with 99.7% of the threats directed at it. This makes it stand out.
The only downer is the numerous popups that you will have to get used to.
- Does not slow down your PC
- Easy to use as it has a friendly interface
- The frequent popup alerts and adverts can be quite annoying
While Avira Free antivirus is guaranteed to protect your gaming PC, it has a few downsides. For instance, it will constantly nag you into upgrading and buying the full Avira antivirus program. If you are looking for quiet enjoyment of a free antivirus service, this might not be the product for you.
It is still one of the best free antivirus programs for it simply does the job of adequately protecting your PC. Other additional features only sweeten the deal.
What Factors Should You Consider Before Settling on an Antivirus Software for your Gaming PC?
Types of Antivirus programs
Broadly, there are free and paid for antivirus packages. While free antivirus packages protect your PC from malware, investing in an antivirus program is always recommended. This is because free anti-virus programs are only compressed versions of the full program. For a wide array of benefits regarding the protection of your gaming PC, spending on an anti-virus program has slowly become a must-do.
If you are on a tight budget and still want protection, programs like Avira free antivirus will get the job done. If you are willing to spend some money, you will not go wrong with a product like Bitdefender which offers high levels of security.
Other factors to consider include:
Not all antivirus products are built to work in all devices. If you are looking to use the antivirus on your gaming PC as well as other devices you ought to consider the compatibility of the product.
Available Updates and Upgrades
An antivirus product that regularly has improvements sent out is essential. Hackers usually come up with new viruses often so your software should be able to keep up and effectively block out all viruses.
Most of the antivirus products mentioned in this guide give free updates periodically then sell you an upgrade once the subscription lapses.
Performance on AV Tests
While numbers do not lie, the general perception of a product in the market also speaks a lot. If many users stick by a product, then there must be something reliable and good about it. It is always good to consider products that a longstanding good name in the market.
Lastly, the ultimate best buy for you is one which is within your price range. While there are many high-end antivirus products there are free ones as well. While they effectively protect your PC from viruses, paid-for software still prevails as they are jammed with all you need for optimal protection.
Cybercrime is becoming even more prevalent today. To protect your gaming PC you ought to consider purchasing quality antivirus software. This article has given details on some of the quality options that will keep your gaming PC protected and running in proper order.
Leave a Reply