Table of Contents
- Why Get a Subwoofer
- Types of Subwoofers
- Placement of A Subwoofer
- How Do You Choose a Subwoofer with Right Size?
- Why Are 8-Inch Subwoofers Best?
- Sound Quality of 8-inch Subwoofer
- The Picks: 10 Best 8 inch Subwoofer
- What to Look for in an 8 inch Subwoofer
- Final Words
As soon as you pick your favorite home theatre with a decent pair of speakers, you sought out woofers or subwoofers to further improve the quality of sound. A Subwoofer extends the frequency range of sound and considerably adds to its quality. The low-pitched sound or bass notes emitted from the subwoofer show the real power of music. Mostly the frequency ranges from 20-200Hz. The low rumble you feel in your heart is the bass you seek. It elevates the whole experience of home entertainment.
Latest update on 2022-11-23 | Images | Affiliate links from Amazon Product Advertising API
We all have experienced distorted music when we play it on our regular music systems. The reason behind this is that the sound quality decreases as we increase the volume of the music. Adding a subwoofer with the speaker solves this problem. It makes sound loud yet undistorted no matter how high you turn it up. The human body feels low-pitched sounds because the frequencies penetrate us more than we hear them. This fact makes the thump of bass loved by every music lover.
Everyone dreams of adding a subwoofer to supplement the sound quality from your existing gaming or home entertainment system. There are many options to choose from, but it is important to understand why you should get a subwoofer at the first place.
Why Get a Subwoofer
One might choose to add a subwoofer to their existing music or home theatre system for various reasons.
Beautiful Representation of Notes in Low-Frequency
Stereo speakers or built-in speakers do not give as good quality of sound as you desire. They alter sounds if played in high or low frequency. The subwoofer cleverly reproduces the notes as created by the music artist, even in the bass.
Works Great With Your Speakers
Any subwoofer should work seamlessly with your full-range speakers and seem like an extension of them. They never miss a note and blend the sounds perfectly. The clarity in the sound pleases your senses greatly.
Boost Sound Quality
The sounds that a speaker alone cannot tell apart from are distinguished with finesse. Most speakers do not deliver a good quality of sound you can achieve if the subwoofer supplements it.
Increase Sound Volume without Distortion
A subwoofer installation means that you get an improved quality of sound. Conventional music systems, where notes start splitting up when you play music at higher volumes. A subwoofer guarantees to play it as loudly as you want with no distortion.
Better Output That Remains Close To Your Heart
In most sound systems, the audio drops off if the frequency lowers than a settled range. A good subwoofer will give you the best sound quality at 20Hz. It means that you can enjoy bass guitar, pipe organ, or any other musical instrument to attain great experience.
Types of Subwoofers
There are many types of subwoofers that are distinguished by their characteristics and preferred over others. Let’s have a look at why they are different.
These are preferred by people who want to customize the whole experience. They come with many components, that are combined together to build a subwoofer. It is tailor-made and gives you freedom to choose everything according to your liking.
There are some of us who prefer heart thumping music while travelling or commuting. The vehicle specific subwoofer makes your journey a pleasant one. It is safely tucked away in trucks, cars and other automobiles. They do not take up much space and can be adjusted in doors or the rear of your car. If you want to install one in your vehicle, then this is a great choice.
It contains an amplifier inside it. When you have a small space to place the sound system, this is your ultimate solution. They give you decent sound and emits controlled bass.
An enclosed subwoofer is contained in an enclosure designated for it. These do not come with a built-in amplifier. They are not as many enclosed subwoofers in the market because of their less demand. You can choose one to upgrade your sound system if it fits your requirements.
Placement of A Subwoofer
The placement of a subwoofer is vital in gaining the best output from the device. Behind couches or heavy furniture would absorb the sound waves, and you will not get the full effect. You should place the subwoofer near the floor level. It makes the sound appear natural and helps spread it across the room. That the low-pitched sound waves travel in all directions. It is good to place the subwoofer such that it faces the audience and a bit farther from the wall.
Before you begin with playing heart-thumping music on your newly installed subwoofers, it is good to get the rest of the gear in line. You don’t want neighbors to bang your door while music pumps through your veins and you are having a great time.
You need an amplifier to go with your subwoofer if it is not already in it. The amplifier will boost the sound considerably.
It will stop the noise from outside and give you louder and more powerful bass.
Keep the nosy neighbors in mind and get polyester fiber that will help containing the sound within your premises.
If you want a customized subwoofer or are building your own, you will need an enclosure to place it in.
How Do You Choose a Subwoofer with Right Size?
When you want to upgrade your sound system, there are many factors you should consider. One thing you should think of before anything else is the size of your subwoofer. They come in different sizes and customers choose them according to their requirements.
Semantically thinking, the size of your subwoofer should be in proportion to the surface area of your room. If you have a large living area, you would want a bigger-sized subwoofer and vice-versa. The subwoofer with a large surface area will play deeper bass.
Even though big subwoofers are irresistible, your choice must depend upon the ground facts. The main idea is to get good quality sound that pleases you, not otherwise.
The speakers of your sound system or home theatre also affect the selecting size of a subwoofer. The large-sized floor speakers that stand erect on the floor of your room are paired nicely with 12-inch subwoofers. While if you have bookshelf speakers, it is good to get 8-inch or 10-inch subwoofers.
Why Are 8-Inch Subwoofers Best?
Like many other commodities, size matters when it comes to picking the right subwoofer for your gaming or home entertainment systems. You might feel inclined on getting the largest subwoofer in the store. The size of the subwoofer does not necessarily make it the best in deliverance. An 8-inch subwoofer is a safe bet when it comes to choosing a perfect subwoofer. It consumes a moderate amount of power and gives you great sound. The mediocre sound does not overwhelm your senses and creates a powerful impact nonetheless.
If you are an audio enthusiast and enjoy great music, you will search for a subwoofer and install it at your gaming or home entertainment system at the earliest. They do not take much space and give you a decent sound quality. 8-inch subwoofers change the feel of sound and enhance the overall experience. Even though they are not as powerful as the 12-inch ones, they give you improved bass with quality sound.
Sound Quality of 8-inch Subwoofer
If you are gaming or planning on watching a musical on your home entertainment system with deep bass, it is not fair to do it without a subwoofer. It not only enhances the bass of the sound, but also prevents it from distorting. Installing a subwoofer along with your regular sound system will give you an entertainment experience that surpasses the average.
The quality of sound is superior to the conventional speakers. It will uplift the music and drive the frequencies down. The music or soundtrack playing in the background of your game, is so impactful that you will want to play it on repeat.
Unlike regular speakers, that break up the sound when you increase the volume and make it distorted. The subwoofer will prevent the notes from dropping and disrupting. The resulting sound is of superior quality and immensely powerful. It flows through your body and hits the core of your heart.
The Picks: 10 Best 8 inch Subwoofer
We have compiled a guide of our favorite 8-inch subwoofers that gives you a detailed insight into what features a particular subwoofer holds. They give you the absolute best sound for gaming and home entertainment purposes.
Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D2
Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D2 will bring the performance to your subwoofer paired with reliability. This 8-inch subwoofer has the power of 800 watts with 400 RMS. With this power, it is capable of producing loud and clear sound. Manufactured using high-quality materials to give you a reliable solution.
- 8-Inch subwoofer with Dual 2 Ohm voice coils
- Peak Power: 800 Watts
- RMS Power: 400 Watts
- Competition Grade Pressed Paper Cone and High Roll Foam Surround
- 2 inch high temperature copper voice coil for improved experience
- Space saving design does not take much space in the vicinity
- The sound produced by this model gives you an illusion of hearing from a 12 inch subwoofer
- Gives you best quality sound and good value for money
- The product is smartly designed with small and compact look
- Contains an advanced cooling system to prevent from the subwoofer form heating up when played for long time
- The RMS and peak power are not same as advertised in the packaging
- The fiber surrounding the subwoofer might get damaged when used over-time
- The amplifier and enclosure need to be purchased separately to create the full effect
The Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D2 since lacks an enclosure, hence finding a suitable one will be challenging. If you find the proper enclosure and amplifier to go with it, you can enjoy sound with precise notes and deep bass.
Monoprice 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer
The 8-inch subwoofer comes fitted in a luxuriously looking wooden cabinet. It is painted black to give it a beautiful finishing. The high level of input that the subwoofer gets will return an undistorted bass to satisfy your needs.
- This subwoofer has a frequency range of 50Hz to 250Hz
- Comes with a lowpass crossover filter that can adjust settings to get best sound experience
- Has multiple input and output points
- The wooden cabinet’s front is covered by a speaker grill
- The product weighs 3 lbs.
- The dimensions along with cabinet are 14.8 x 16.1 x 15.4 inches
- Compatible with any existing stereo
- Lightweight and easy to relocate
- Standby mode available to save power if the subwoofer sits idle
- Short-circuit management by a 2 amp/250 volt fuse
- Gives you great sound quality
- Auto-On feature behaves weirdly sometimes and is borderline frustrating
- Some customers find the frequency a little high
- Lacks sound control configuration
The Monoprice 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer will supplement your speakers with bass and rhythm you did not know it lacked. It is your best pick if you want a subwoofer under a tight budget.
Sound BlasterX Katana
This is a multi-channel sound bar by Dolby that improves you gaming or movie watching experience. The acoustics in this system are well-tuned to keep the sound sharp and sleek.
- Supports Dolby Digital 5.1
- Bluetooth connectivity
- The sound-bar weighs 17.6 lbs.
- Aurora reactive lighting
- It has a 5 driver design
- Comes with sound blaster connect software
- You can connect to the subwoofer remotely using the Bluetooth technology
- Compatible to work with PC, MAC and various gaming consoles
- Not much heavy
- Modern and sleek design looks appealing
- The sound-bar comes adorned with 49 programmable LEDs that changes with the music
- The accompanying software is complicated
- Subwoofer cannot keep up with high volume of sound
The Sound BlasterX Katana is sleek and will fit right under your monitor to give you the maximum sound experience. You can create an ambiance of your choice by choosing from 16.8 million colors.
Acoustic Audio PSW300
This front firing, long throw subwoofer is sized at a perfect 8-inch. It is best to pair it with your home theatre to have a great movie viewing experience with high definition sound.
- Gives 300 watts peak power
- Has dedicated inputs of LFE and RCA
- Standing subwoofer with dimensions 13″ × 10″ × 9.5″
- Weight of product is 16.5 lbs.
- Comes with integrated amplifier to provide efficient output
- 0 – 180 degree phase control switch
- Easily used with home theatre and surround sound systems
- Gets its own power of standard 110V from wall plug
- Gives great power at reasonable price
- The bottom slotted port gives you a full effect of deep bass
- The cabinet containing the subwoofer has vibration absorbing feet. It prevents the floor from scratching
- The subwoofer is not compatible with LFE
- The sound gain gets cranked if crossover is turned up
If you are one of the customer who prefer beauty with performance, the Acoustic Audio PSW300 is a good bet. Not being over-priced, it gives you maximum performance.
Theater Solutions SUB8SM
This is an aesthetically designed subwoofer that supplements your home theatre system with high quality bass. The sound quality is great and remains undistorted. Best for customers who require powerful bass.
- Multifunctional subwoofer that can be wall mounted or placed under most furniture at your place
- Gives 250 watts peak power
- It has a variable 35Hz to 150Hz frequency control knob
- The subwoofer weighs 22 lbs.
- The dimensions are 24.7 x 15.8 x 4.8 inches
- The built-in auto shut off feature helps in saving power consumption
- Highest quality material used in manufacturing the subwoofer to deliver best results
- It can be set-up in any area in your home
- Mahogany finish wood cabinet matches most of your furniture and is durable
- The long throw bass subwoofer is designed to give you maximum performance
- Smooth airflow increases the output
- Subwoofer emits low humming sound that is annoying
- The product is on the heavier side and difficult to wall mount with this weight
The Theater Solutions SUB8SM gives you great sound with high quality bass at an affordable price. The sleek design doubles as a decorative object at your place.
OSD Audio PS88
This subwoofer surpasses all other items on our list by its looks. The black lacquer finished design is accompanied by a dual woofer to give a bass that carries a punch. The volume controls on the product let you exercise maximum control.
- The subwoofer operates at 180 watts peak power RMS
- Frequency response rate is 25 Hz to 160 Hz
- 0 – 180 degree phase control knob is available to control the sound
- Weight of the product is 16 lbs.
- Dimensions are 10 x 11 x 10.5 inches
- The side-firing subwoofer comes with a magnet treated paper cone with oversized foam
- Sleek design of the subwoofer with glossy black finishing makes it appear regal
- Vast range of audio frequency is available to tune into
- Works well in mid-bass range and gives out great sound
- Does not produce enough bass
- Sound does not have thump according to some customers’ liking
If you are looking for a small subwoofer that is light on your pocket and looks pretty at the same time. You can safely pick OSD Audio PS88.
Polk Audio PSW111
This subwoofer comes with great features from the Polk Audio technology. Its size is not much larger than a square feet, but the bass is strong. The design is an 88-inch composite cone driver and a built—in amplifier. It brings out clear notes and clean bass in the music without any distortion.
- Downward firing port lets the front of the cabinet low profile and give you maximum sound effect
- Multiple input options in the subwoofer let you customize the process to maximum
- PSW makes use of intelligent amplifiers to boost sound
- Energy efficient technology enables subwoofer to save power
- Dimensions of subwoofer are 14 x 11 x 12.2 inches
- Product weight is 21 lbs.
- Front grille is detachable
- It is compatible with your music or sound system to give you the best sound experience
- The loudspeaker is highly efficient and operates on 300W peak power
- Sound remains undistorted even at high volumes
- The Dynamic Balance technology makes sure the sound remains crisp and clear
- Sleek black design that looks hip and trendy
- The subwoofer is of compact size and a challenging price tag
- Makes humming and thumping sound
- Imbalanced body that makes it rattle with vibrations
The perfect balance of bass and rhythm give you the best experience while playing games or watching movies or listening to music. The Polk Audio PSW111 produces rich sound quality even at low frequencies.
Audio Pro Addon
This brilliant piece of technology to thump up you music is a subwoofer by Audio Pro. It gives best quality sound for theatre-like experience at home.
- Uses Bassreflex technology to give you precise and undistorted sound each time
- Frequency ranges from 35Hz to 130Hz.
- Built-in Digital Class D amplifier
- Has variable cross-over on a log throw subwoofer
- Product dimensions are 15.75 x 14.96 x 15.16 inches
- The weight of Audio Pro Addon subwoofer is 3.3 lbs.
- Operates at 150 watts
- Gets its own power though its power cord
- You can choose from two available colors, black and white
- Small size and weight makes it easy to place and adjusted according to your requirements
- Simple sleek design with minimalist look
- Down firing woofer to give you most out of the listening experience
- Requires batteries, so if you run out of them and forget to restock, forget about playing music
- Power cords have to be purchased separately
The music or movies you see on your home entertainment system lacks that punch. Not you can get it fulfilled with the heart thumping bass from Audio Pro Addon Subwoofer. At a reasonable price it gives you great sound quality.
The subwoofer you desire to improve your gaming or entertainment experience is here. Audioengine S8 is a powerful bass producing device that is handcrafted to perfection. It comes with various controls that you can use to alter the music bass and volume.
- The subwoofer provides with bass that is smooth low and tight
- It comes with 3 year transferable warranty
- The compact size and practical design are a plus
- It has auto sleep power saving mode
- Dual in-line inputs and USB port
- Product dimensions are 11.25 x 11.25 x 11.25 inches
- Compatible with all powered and passive speakers, TV sets and gaming consoles
- USB port available to connect any of your devices
- Gives great audio for movies and video games that have high definition sound
- Energy efficient, goes to sleep if sitting idle for some time
- The subwoofer weighs 30 lbs. which is too heavy to move around with ease
- Batteries required for operation. That proves to be a hassle and frustrating if you don’t have a pair ready for use
If you require a subwoofer to accompany your home entertainment or gaming systems, then Audioengine S8 is a great choice. The device uses S8 subwoofer to give you clear, crisp sound that is low bass yet smooth.
MartinLogan Dynamo 400
These black colored subwoofers by MartinLoagan produce great rhythm and bass to keep the music pumping. The device is designed with good quality materials to give it a nice punch. The integrated amplifier and RMS power of 75 watts give you a listening experience you will remember.
- Speakers operate of 150 watts peak power
- Sleek design that ensure low turbulence
- The frequency ranges from 30Hz to 200Hz
- Bassreflex technology
- Product dimensions are 18 x 18.4 x 19.9 inches
- It weighs 31 lbs.
- Captures sound in a large frequency range
- Versatile input and output ports
- Gives you low bass sound that thunders and booms
- Customize settings according to your preference
- You can match the volume of subwoofer with your sound system
- The subwoofer is the heaviest we came across. 31 lbs. are inconvenient to move around if you want to change its position
- Very expensive addition to your home entertainment or gaming system
The MartinLogan Dynamo 400 is very expensive and does not promise as good value for money. Apart from that it is also really heavy which makes it not a popular choice.
What to Look for in an 8 inch Subwoofer
Once you have made up your mind that you need a subwoofer to get that rhythm going. You will need to know what to look for in a subwoofer that is unquestionably best for you.
Subwoofers require power to function. They can handle power to give maximum performance without getting damaged. One should see the RMS and be certain that the subwoofer can handle the power for longer periods without getting heated up.
The enclosure type affects the quality of sound emitted by the subwoofer and also its performance. The subwoofers in sealed boxes give you good quality sound that is deep and accurate. The subwoofer alone cannot give you the sound you dream of. It must be paired with the correct enclosure type for optimized performance.
Look at the specifications of the subwoofer to get to know about the frequency range at which it operates. It gives you an idea of the performance of the subwoofer. One with a frequency range of 20Hz to 30Hz will give you a really deep bass. Subwoofers are designed to reproduce even the lowest frequencies.
The size of a subwoofer will greatly impact its quality of sound. It is also in relevance to the purpose of the use of the subwoofer. You should choose per the place where to subwoofer needs to be placed. The subwoofer should not look misfit in the place where you are keeping it
Number of Coils
The subwoofers come with single and dual 4-ohm voice coils. They both have their fan-base and are used under different circumstances. However, people who want to install a subwoofer at home will choose a single-coil subwoofer. The more voice coils in a subwoofer, the better quality of sound you get.
The subwoofer with lower sensitivity ratings will require more power to produce sound. It means that it is less energy efficient.
The subwoofer you are selecting for your sound system must be incompetent with it to give you good results. The amplifier and speakers must support the subwoofer.
The list of top 10 8-inch subwoofers was determined to let you judge for what is the best choice available in the market. Our analytical team has picked three out of them.
The one 8-inch subwoofer that will give you a pleasurable experience when attached to your gaming or home entertainment system is Sound BlasterX Katana by Dolby Digital. It is not a conventional standalone subwoofer that is attached to your sound system. It is a gaming and entertainment soundbar. It projects sound from a wide-angle thus increasing its bass even further. It is an all-in-one system and delivers a great quality sound that remains undistorted even when the volume is turned up. It has built-in 8 ich subwoofers that produce deep smooth bass that you wish for.
The sleek under monitor audio system allows you to place it smartly under your TV screen or monitor. The Bluetooth connectivity feature makes it easy to control it from distance. The soundbar is compatible to work with your PC, MAC, or gaming consoles.
The best feature in Sound BlasterX Katana is its Aurora reactive lighting system. The music lights up the ambiance from 16.8 million colors. It means there is a choice out there to suit your every mood. It comes with Sound Blaster Connect software that you can use to fully customize the experience.
Sound BlasterX Katana is not over-priced either and is in accordance with the features that come with it. You will not regret getting one for yourself with the bass that thumps your heart and makes you dance to the beat.
Overall, Sound BlasterX Katana is the best choice when looking for an 8-inch subwoofer to work with your home entertainment and gaming systems.
If the Sound BlasterX Katana does not appeal to you for your gaming or home entertainment. There is a second-best choice when choosing an 8-inch subwoofer. It is Polk Audio PSW111 by Polk Audio. This black subwoofer with a minimal sleek design captures your attention with the superior sound quality and low bass it produces. The compact look does not hinder its performance. Its 8-inch subwoofer uses 300 watts of peak power to operate.
The sound remains clear and undistorted even if you crank the volume up high. The ultra-power-packed subwoofer provides the punch that your sound system has been lacking.
Polk Audio PSW111 does not come with a hefty price tag and most surely will fit your budget. The sound delivered by the subwoofer will make it worth your money.
You can rely on the superior quality of materials and be rest assured that this product will last long. No need to worry about the durability, you just loosen up and let the music soothe your heart.
Best Value for Money
You want to experience the same bass effect as the expensive subwoofers bring, but do not have the budget to do so? Do not fret over it. Monoprice 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer will give you the same listening pleasure. This 8-inch subwoofer is cheap yet it offers great bass and uninterrupted sound.
The added feature of Auto-On enables power friendliness. It shuts down if no signal is detected for 10 minutes. It has multiple input options and you can control output with the knobs and switches.
The subwoofer is hidden inside a beautiful wooden cabinet in black color that looks pretty decent and is an aesthetic balm to soothe your eyes.
A good audio system boosts up the overall experience of home entertainment or gaming. Nowadays, home theatres or speakers usually come affixed with amplifiers. You still feel as if something is missing. To keep the bass thundering the place, you need to attach a subwoofer to the system. The subwoofer proves to be a good addition to your existing sound system. It will add some bass to your home entertainment system.
A good subwoofer comes with promising features that deliver great quality sound. It should also come with a reasonable price tag that fits your budget. It provides detailed music therapy to your heart and soul and will keep on working just fine if you keep them in good working condition.
Leave a Reply